to POWER PIVOT or not ???

Brass Contributor

Hi

I Would very much appreciate your views on my what my next step is to avoid my SLOW standard pivot tables.

i have ONE large source worksheet with 12000 rows and 5 columns of data.

i have 6 pivot tables (standard, not power) that use this data.

problems is:

its now very slow to refresh but also slow to operate, apply filters, etc.

SHOULD i now be using POWER PIVOT ??

reason i haven't done so far is it seems the point of power pivot is ONLY if you get data from multiple sources. or use multiple source tables.

is that a true assumption?

i ,however, only have ONE large worksheet of data., that i just manually add to.

should i still go with power pivot , it seems i can create the exact same pivot tables i need.

but would creating them via power pivot speed up the refresh and speed when using the pivot tables???

many thanks for your help with this.

i cant attach my data due to GDPR but from the data range i have already mentioned i then filter from two of those columns but also have a calculated column added ( which i am hoping POWER P can do ? )

hope Microsoft or members can provide some insight into what my next step should be?

thanks very much, Steve R

4 Replies

@stever78 Well, PP can do all a regular PT can do, plus much more. Just try, I would say. And perhaps a good idea NOT to load the 12K rows data into the workbook, but connect to it via PowerQuery. There you can do some initial filtering and/or clean-up (if needed). Load the table to the Data Model and see if you can use measures rather than calculated columns. 

@stever78 

12K of rows looks not very dramatic, but in any case I'd add you data source table to data model and build PivotTable based on data model table.

You may not use Power Pivot interface if you have only one source. Just use source loaded to data model to build reports.

Hi, thanks for replies, appreciated.
i have created the data model. My previous pivot tables still have the same source data. even though i have added that source data to a data model.
do i need to create NEW pivot tables using the Pivot tables creation button on the power pivot interface ( when you click manage ). i.e is there no way i can copy my existing standard PTables
thanks, steve

@stever78 

Yes, that will be new PivotTables with another data source. Do that on copy of your workbook.