SOLVED

Timeline on calculated column

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Question: can a calculated column be used for a 'Timeline'?

I have a table within a data model that has two date columns: one column contains source data and one is a calculated column which uses the DATE formula to return the date value based on other columns' source data (from the same table). I have a pivot table summarising the data model and would like to add a timeline. 'Insert Timeline' shows both date columns are available for selection - all good so far. The column containing the source data gives me a working timeline. If I remove the source data timeline and select the calculated column, however, no timeline appears. Both columns have the same date format.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Splat23 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Splat23 

I run 365 Current Channel Version 2211 where this appears to work:

Sample.png

Thanks, using the same formula and format so guess it must be an issue with the data (or I just need to switch the PC off and on again!).

@Splat23 When you open the workbook I shared, does it work?

Hi @L z.

Yes, your file works perfectly. I'll update the post if I find my issue which I guess must be data related, thanks.

Found it - I had a blank row at the end of my data resulting in a calculated date in the year 1899 rather than an error. Interestingly, using the calculated column in a slicer worked and did not show the spurious date whereas the Timeline just did not appear. Removed blank rows in the upload query and all works perfectly now.
Glad you found the issue & Thanks for documenting your solution
Not sure you can mark as solution your own posts but if you can that could help other users facing the issue...
Thanks again & nice day...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Splat23 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Splat23 

I run 365 Current Channel Version 2211 where this appears to work:

Sample.png

View solution in original post