SOLVED

Time input and summation

Copper Contributor

Not sure if I'm on the right board for this but here goes.

I'm trying to build a worksheet to track my running times and distances.  The distances are easy and make up my column headers...1st mile, 2nd mile, etc. and where the distance is a fraction of a mile I just add a column with the fraction i.e. for a 10k run I would have a column for 2/10th of a mile. I get the times & distances from my exercise watch.  I enter the time as hh:mm:ss although I could use mm:ss.  If I look at the an entry of 9 min, 50 seconds, it shows as 12:09:50 AM.  I would like to get rid of the 12 and AM and be able to add all the times across the distances to show total time in hh:mm:ss.  Is there a way to do this and which time format should I be using?

Thanks in advance, Ron 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ronnomad2020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @ronnomad2020 ,

Here's one approach, format your cells as custom h:mm:ss

That way you get rid of AM/PM but keep the hours in case you run more than 60 minutes. You will be able to add those later. 

Down side is Excel will still think you meant "12:09:50 AM" but you will see it as "0:09:50"

Bennadeau_0-1593133827327.png

Ben

@Bennadeau 

Thanks for the input.  Works perfectly (except for the AM part).  Unfortunately, I now have no excuse not to run.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ronnomad2020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @ronnomad2020 ,

Here's one approach, format your cells as custom h:mm:ss

That way you get rid of AM/PM but keep the hours in case you run more than 60 minutes. You will be able to add those later. 

Down side is Excel will still think you meant "12:09:50 AM" but you will see it as "0:09:50"

Bennadeau_0-1593133827327.png

Ben

View solution in original post