SOLVED

Time Conversion

Copper Contributor

Hi All, 

I'm having trouble working out how to convert a time. 

I have 1 minute 30.009 seconds in one cell, entered as 1:30.009 and want to display is another cell as 90.009 seconds. any help would be greatly appreciated

Ron

6 Replies

@forbesy71 Create a custom format like this [ss].000

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1659164801165.png

Thanks for the reply, i have done that but i'm after the formula or steps to do it as below

forbesy71_0-1659171824321.png

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

@forbesy71 Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "I'm after the formula or steps to do it".

Sorry for the confusion,

What I want is, if i enter 1:30.009 into cell A1, i want it to display in cell C1 as 90.009 automatically.

Hope this explaination helps.
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@forbesy71 The simplest "formula" in C1 would be =A1 and than set the custom format for C1 to [ss].000

Alternatively, you could use the TEXT function that allows you to type the desired format into the formula between quotation marks. Using a double hyphen (i.e. two minus signs) in front forces it to become a numeric value.

= --TEXT(A1,"[ss].000")

Thank you Riny, that's got it, I didn't have the brackets around the ss in the formating.
Muchly appreciated
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@forbesy71 The simplest "formula" in C1 would be =A1 and than set the custom format for C1 to [ss].000

Alternatively, you could use the TEXT function that allows you to type the desired format into the formula between quotation marks. Using a double hyphen (i.e. two minus signs) in front forces it to become a numeric value.

= --TEXT(A1,"[ss].000")

View solution in original post