The filter function is not applied to all rows

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I could find previous posts with this problem, but the filter function is not being applied to all rows of a sheet. 

It is formatted as a table which include the "un-filterable" rows, but that doesn't do the trick.

Thanks in advance for helping

Cheers

4 Replies

@DanielFernandez 

Can you post, if not the actual spreadsheet, a copy of the FILTER function you've written?

Several possibilities occur to me. In general, although we may be tempted to say "Excel is not working", or, as you have here, "the FILTER function is not working," it's far more likely that we, the user, have done (or not done) something that causes the appearance of failure in question. In other words, it's far more likely that the FILTER function is working as it should than that it (after working in thousands, if not millions, of other spreadsheets around the globe) has chosen you and your application to suddenly apply itself to only a subset of the rows.....

Can you describe or discern something distinctive about the rows to which it IS being applied, in contrast with those that it's not? Is it only picking up rows at the top, not the bottom of the full range? Or vice versa?

It's possible, for example, that there is not be a match between how you specified the rows to be filtered and rows of the column(s) to be used as criteria for the filtering

You write that your data are "formatted as a table" and that could mean "I made it look like a table" as opposed to "I set it up as an official Table; it has a name. In the FILTER function I see the table's name and the column's names"

Anyway, those are two things to look at....... 

If you could send a worksheet with the problem (without sensitive data), it would be an advantage ... for you and for all who would like to help solve your problem.

thank you
Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Hello @mathetes 

Thanks for your time.

I have revised the filter function again, and you indicated it was a user mistake, where the table "range" was inadequately defined.

Cheers

Thanks for your interest.
I had incorrectly defined the range of the table in the formula....