The cells color theme

Copper Contributor

Does anyone familiar with how to set the color of the cells, and overall cells format characteristics like  borders and sundry, by default? I really like dark theme, not only the interface itself, but the cells color too. Although I use dark theme in MS office in general, the cells are white by default. I can change the color of the whole sheet by simple formating, but then I create another sheet and it's white again by default. So I need to set the dark color of the cells whenever I create books or spreadsheets by default. Can anyone please help me do that?

5 Replies

@zig323 

I hope that you won't ever need to print out a worksheet - it would use up a lot of toner!

Create a blank workbook and modify the Normal style to have a black background and white font.

Save this workbook as an Excel template (.xltx) named Book.xltx in Excel's startup folder (by default %AppData%\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART). The name Book.xltx is mandatory for the English version of Excel; it is language-dependent - for example, in French it is Livre.xltx.

Also create a version of this template with just one worksheet and save it as a template named Sheet.xltx in the same folder. The name is mandatory again, but language-dependent; in French it would be Feuil.xltx).

Excel will use these when you press Ctrl+N or click the New button on the Quick Access Toolbar to create a new workbook, and when you click the + to insert a new worksheet.

Mr @Hans Vogelaar, thank you very much for saving my eyes from sheer white glitter! 

@Hans Vogelaar , I never I thought I'll need it, but now I have to bring the settings back. I deleted two templates from the XLSSTART folder, but excel is still opens deleted templates instead of white normal book. And by the way when I open downloaded (external books) the program opens 2 books instead of downloaded one, the second extra book is the template from XLSSTART. How can I bring everything back to normal white (to preinstalled default)?

Also there were some problems with the "Excel" and "XLSSTART" folders: there were absent when I searched for it directly. They haven't appeared even when I managed to show all hidden folders. But when I browse the directory through excel "save as" and then search the route to save the file, those disguised folders suddenly appear.

Would you be so kind to help me unravel the mystery here?

@zig323 

It's not XLSSTART but XLSTART.

The XLSTART folder is in a folder that is normally hidden by Windows. To be able to see it:

Start File Explorer.

On the View tab of the ribbon, click Options.

Activate the View tab.

Under 'Hidden files and folders', select 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'.

Click OK.

@Hans Vogelaar Thank you!