Text with "@" char

Copper Contributor

Why does excel convert a text with '@' into a hyperlink, especially after adding a double quotes. eq. "p@asdfn55234123412LK" in a cell becomes a hyperlink. Would like to have this considered as text, so that when copied could retrieve it with double quotes, instead presently it presents itself as 'p@asdfn55234123412LK'

5 Replies

@jhnworks 

Excel thinks anything with an @ is an email address.

To prevent this, there are several methods:

• Format the cell as Text before entering a value containing @.
  • Prefix the value with an apostrophe '.
  • To disable this behavior entirely, select File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options... > AutoFormat As You Type. Clear the check box 'Internet and network paths with hyperlinks' and click OK.

@Hans Vogelaar Going with the last option/(Remove auto correct). However, now we see that all the manipulated values having "". How does one remove these after copy.

Would like to see 'ManuValue="p@asdfn55234123412LK"' instead of 'ManuValue=""p@asdfn55234123412LK""'

@jhnworks 

Try replacing "" with " in the Replace dialog.

@jhnworks 

With the permission of everyone involved, here is some additional information from Microsoft.

remove the hyperlink

In Excel:

If the hyperlink was created using the HYPERLINK function, you can remove the hyperlink by using the following steps:

• Select the cell containing the hyperlink.

Press CTRL+C to copy the hyperlink.

Right Click and paste using the Values paste option.

Remove all hyperlinks at the same time

In Excel 2010 and later:

Select all cells that contain hyperlinks, or press Ctrl+A to select all cells.

Right-click, and then click Remove Hyperlinks.

Microsoft Info: Remove or turn off hyperlinks

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/remove-or-turn-off-hyperlinks-027b4e8c-38f8-432c-b57f-6c8...

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@jhnworks 

Can't reproduce that

image.png

How and which exactly value do you enter?