text to number macro and unsolvable problem

Copper Contributor

Hi everybody,

please have a look on my file, i'm trying to convert some data and i'm facing few inexplicable problem.

I have allready try many solution but it is not working as i want.

in the best before and after you will see the data. many of them are well converted with different solution that i tried in my macro but some cell it doesn't work automatically. i have tried column to text, paste special, substitute but nothing working well.

is somebody could explain me what's is happening?

thanks

@Faraz Shaikh ?? :)

3 Replies

Hi @debou7001,

As far as I understand looking at the file, you are trying to convert the decimal value for "," into a "."

You can convert the same following

1. Power Query changing the data type

2. Writing the formula in the cell as showed in each screenshot

2021-02-28_18-31-33.png

I'm attaching the file you can have a look

Hope this is workable for you.

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official/Best Answer & like it to help the other members find it more.

Thanks Faraz,

Unfortunatly it seems that it is more complicated. When i open my original file i see all value as text. I try to find a solution to convert them as number or as date. But there is some crazy things. Some Column are well converted ( At that time i use texttocolumn in a loop to convert them) but in some column sometime some value are not well converted in number or they keep the . as the decimal separator at least the coma. than 1.500 is not 1,500. i'm trying to find a way to fix that.I want to force to use regional setting but i dont understand why it is not working too.
best regards. and again thanks for your previous reply.

@debou7001 

With Text to Columns you shall select proper separators on the third step of the wizard. As they are in source data, not in your locale.

image.png