SOLVED

Task List that transfers to Calendar

Copper Contributor

I am in college currently and am needing to be as organized as possible, in order to maintain my grades. I have very minimal knowledge of VBA, but I have created some.

I will try my best to explain, if you are able to help that would be awesome!

mendthefabric_0-1631982794185.png

Task List, with Due Date, assignment, class, time due

VBA already installed into task list worksheet

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)

If Target.Column = 1 Then

Dim lastRow As Long lastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

Range("$B:$D:A" & lastRow).Sort key1:=Range("A2:A" & lastRow), order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes

End If

End Sub

mendthefabric_1-1631982793810.png

Calender with Drop Down that updates automatically

What I Need Overall

• a task list that automatically sorts, as I enter new data, by the due date and highlights the whole row if it contains the class name (VBA that is already on that list) (already done)
  • I need to take those assignments and enter them onto a monthly view calendar,
    • same document but different sheets.
  • i need the assignments entered to highlight in the color of the class, automatically 
  • if possible: as I enter data, automatically also enter and do all this code behind the scenes.

I hope this made sense, let me know if you can help with that.

15 Replies

@mendthefabric 

as a variant (non vba) Power Pivot with slicers

I appreciate the response, it isn't quite what I am looking for. I already have the VBA inserted into the list of assignments and I've done that so as I add to the list it automatically sorts it by date and it highlights it to the color of the class.

Basically I need to know how to get that data to import to a calender, like the one shown in the picture, automatically
best response confirmed by mendthefabric (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mendthefabric A couple of days ago another student asked a similar question. He/she chose to work with a typical Calendar template found on-line, with a monthly and a weekly view. Though, it only marked days that something was due, but it didn't specify what. I slightly modified that template to achieve just that and could dump your assignments into the modified template. The calendar views were filled instantly. No VBA needed. 

Personally, I would never use this kind of template. It's full with "features" that make it difficult to adapt to ones specific needs. So, use it as it is and don't try to tinker with it too much. Take it, or leave it, I would say.

Oh, and since you tag your posting with "Office365", I assume that your Excel version supports the FILTER function. If not, you may disregard the attached workbook.

This is actually perfect for what I need.
if I have another assignment, can i just add on to the bottom and it will sort it?

@mendthefabric Just add it at the bottom of the assignment table. It will expand automatically  No need to sort if for the Calendar to work. But if you want to sort the list, just push the little arrow at the top of the DUE DATE column and choose the sort option you want.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Great job, Riny. I knew @mendthefabric  would be able to find the help she was looking for by posting this publicly. (She had sent me a private message with the same original question, and I referred her here.)

And I also appreciate your comments vis-a-vis the templates. In general those so often have bells and whistles that get in the way of helping the very people they're intended to help.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Finally I found the exact answer that I am looking for? If there a formula to have task lists with due dates auto populate into an excel calendar? similarly to what you have done...

I ask because for work, we have a spread sheet similar to the task list with dates were documentation is due, our "tasks" are separated by different categories. It would be so much easier if we had a calendar to visualize when certain documentation is due based on that spreadsheet... SOS plz

@Richelene Well, have you tried to adapt you task list to the format used in the template I uploaded earlier (HW cal.xlsx)? As mentioned, such templates are difficult to adapt to everyone's needs. So, in principle, you'll have to adapt to what the template offers you.

This is awesome and exactly what I have been looking for, however when I enable editing, none of the assignments are filling in. I think it is because you are using a function that my version of Excel (2016) doesn't support but I am unable to see what that is. In the Monthly view, here is a copy/paste of one of the formulas. Please note the _xlfn. Would you be able to tell me what that is supposed to be?

Thank you!

=IFERROR(_xlfn.TEXTJOIN(REPT(CHAR(10),2),TRUE,_xlfn._xlws.FILTER(Assignments[[DESCRIPTION]:[DESCRIPTION]],Assignments[[DUE DATE1]:[DUE DATE1]]=(DATEVALUE(G14&"-"&MoMonth&"-"&MoYear)),"-")),"")

@ashleycole24 Indeed. The _xlfn prefix indicates that the TEXTJOIN and FILTER functions that are not available in 2016. 

Is it possible to add the Class to this as well? So it might read

CLASS: Assignment

on the specific date in both month and week views?  I have not programmed anything in years, and tried to add it in and am getting a syntax error.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

@criley03 Easiest would be to expand the table with a MERGED column where you concatenate the Assignment and Class columns into one. Then, in the Month and week views use Find&Replace.

Find what?

[[DESCRIPTION]:[DESCRIPTION]]

Replace with?

[[MERGED]:[MERGED]]

See attached.

Thank you so much. Once I did some digging, I realized I what I was trying wasn't going to work. I picked up enough to follow along with what you are saying. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
I wonder is there a way of adding a year view added to the template that works in the same way as the month view and week view?
I convert excel sheet to .ics and import .ics file to android smartphone calendar which has both month and year view
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mendthefabric (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mendthefabric A couple of days ago another student asked a similar question. He/she chose to work with a typical Calendar template found on-line, with a monthly and a weekly view. Though, it only marked days that something was due, but it didn't specify what. I slightly modified that template to achieve just that and could dump your assignments into the modified template. The calendar views were filled instantly. No VBA needed. 

Personally, I would never use this kind of template. It's full with "features" that make it difficult to adapt to ones specific needs. So, use it as it is and don't try to tinker with it too much. Take it, or leave it, I would say.

Oh, and since you tag your posting with "Office365", I assume that your Excel version supports the FILTER function. If not, you may disregard the attached workbook.

View solution in original post