Taking information to another page while sorting.

Copper Contributor

Column B= Names (B8:B22)

Column C =Position (C8:C22)

Column D = Clock Number (D8:D22)

Column E = Hire date (E8:E22)

Column F = Machine Number (F8:F22)

I want to take this table on a sheet named (EE Change) to another sheet while sorting it by hire date, newest to oldest on one sheet named (VLE), oldest to newest on another sheet named (Send Out). 

The goal is so supervisors can go to one sheet (EE Change) and change employees information and it update across multiple other sheets. 

1 Reply

@Matt Dymond 

Hi, Matt. It would be easier for folks here in techcommunity to help you if you posted a copy (or a mockup, something without real names of real people) of your actual workbook as it exists now.

In the absence of that, let me refer you to the newly released SORT function, which should be able to take your basic data and array it on your VLE sheet oldest to newest, and on your SendOut newest to oldest. Any changes made on EE_Change would automatically be reflected on the subordinate sheets. I would strongly recommend making that data into an official Excel Table; that would then allow new names to be added to the list (new hires). If you wanted to keep a history of all employees and even all transactions (I was the director of the HR database for a major corporation some 25 years ago; retired now; but I've helped design major systems to track EE history over their careers)...then you'd need to add some columns designating not only hire dates, but start dates for positions, etc.   But all of that could be handled by SORT plus FILTER, the latter taking care to list only Current employee data.

Here's a good instructional site: https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-sort-function

Even better, here's a video by a Microsoft developer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...