Tables across sheets

Copper Contributor
Hi

This is probably a very simple question but I'm not really an excel guy.

I'm creating a log of work done by contractors. Very simple just name, who contracted them, date , hours worked.

This is all fine and dandy but I also need to be able to break it down by month. So they worked X amount of hours per month.

So what I setup is a workbook with worksheets for each month. I can input data into these and it's easy enough. What I would to create though is like a yearly sheet where I can see for the year all the contractors and hours worked etc. So I was hoping I could just copy a table to that sheet for each month but feels really clunky. It would also be good for it to only pull the cells with information in it rather than all.

Any input or help on this probably basic question would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
1 Reply

@Constiel If I were you, I would stick to the one-list approach. The worst thing to do is start creating monthly sheets. Excel is very good at taking big quantities of structured data and then summarise or reorganise it in seconds.

Begin by looking into Pivot Tables. There are many tutorials on-line and they are not very difficult to learn to work with. If needed, come back here with a file containing your data (remove any private and confidential information though), and I or someone else here can help you further.