SOLVED

Sync names with Excel name manager fails - AFE

Copper Contributor

Having issues syncing my formulas created within the Advanced Formula Environment. Keep getting a "Sync names with Excel name manager failed: The argument is invalid or missing or has an incorrect format."

PauliSarkia_0-1644429341360.png

Anyone else having this issue?

5 Replies
best response confirmed by PauliS (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I found the solution for this. The cause is the formula separator in my Excel. It uses semicolon (;) by default as a separator in formulas. Changing the separator in Excel Options fixed this.
There are no issues with import and the AFE when Excel uses comma.

PauliS_0-1644478563010.png

I hope the AFE will be changed to support other formats also, just like the formulas in Excel do.

Hi @PauliS ,

I run into the same error trying out a LAMBDAS formula in the AFE. However the solution of changing the list separator in the options did not work out for me. I also tried to change the list separator in my Regional settings, without result. Do you know how I could fix this?

@FerdyR 

What documentation says

We currently only support one locale where , is the argument separator and ; is the name assignment separator. Localization feature requests can be tracked under Issues.

https://github.com/microsoft/advanced-formula-environment

IMHO, it's more effective to communicate related to AFE issues directly on GitHub.

@Sergei Baklan, thank you for your response. I agree that Github is the way to go for issues. But in my case the cause seems to be in the settings:

Changing the list separator from ; to , in my Windows Region settings and changing my Office from Dutch to English made my AFE formulas work in the end.

Best regards,

Ferdy

I had the same issue on my MacBook (UK English but with Swiss keyboard).

Preferred language is English (UK).

To fix: 

System Preferences -> Language&Region -> Apps and I added Excel English  (Not English UK). 

Imported lambdas work ok, just not able to create new ones.  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PauliS (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I found the solution for this. The cause is the formula separator in my Excel. It uses semicolon (;) by default as a separator in formulas. Changing the separator in Excel Options fixed this.
There are no issues with import and the AFE when Excel uses comma.

PauliS_0-1644478563010.png

I hope the AFE will be changed to support other formats also, just like the formulas in Excel do.

View solution in original post