SOLVED

Sums & Totals no longer calculating

Copper Contributor

I have set up spread sheets to keep track of job totals and independent contractor pay.  These are simple "SUM" and "MULTIPLY" functions.  Up until about 2 weeks ago, I would enter numbers and totals would appear.  Now, I enter numbers and totals & calculations no longer work.  I have to highlight the cell, click in the address bar where it says "=SUM(field:field)" then click the Check Mark to the left to make it show the total.

I am working in "2018".  The sheet "2017" has been done since Dec 2017 and I went into it today and I have the same issues on that sheet as well.  So it seems like something went wrong with Excel.

Is there any way to get the calculations and formulas to start working again without having to redo the entire document?

Thank you for your help in advance.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by DON CULP (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Don,

Please check in ribbon Formulas tab->Calculation Options in drop down menu if it set on Automatic.

Or File->Options-Formulas and here select Automatic

I followed your instructions and it was set to Manual.  Clicked Automatic and they started working again.  Thank you very much.  I would have never known where to look for that.

Have a great day!!!

You too!

I have checked the settings yet when I try to sum the only thing I get is the "sum formula".  

Even if I try to type @sum(#:#) it just doesnt work. 

Darlene

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

Hi Don,

Please check in ribbon Formulas tab->Calculation Options in drop down menu if it set on Automatic.

Thanks, it worked for me too.

Thanks, Me too! No idea how this would have gotten changed in the first place.

I am having the same issue with the SUM function not calculating, but displaying the SUM function.  I have verified that my Calculation Options is set to Automatic.  What can be the issue?

Thank you,

Roxane

correction: the SUM function is displaying the SUM formula. Thank you.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DON CULP (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Don,

View solution in original post