SOLVED

SUMMING

Copper Contributor

Dear Friends,

My question will perhaps make your eyes roll but I'm stuck on the simplest matter.  When I set up a column of 45 cells (C1 thru C45) for summation I've  placed =SUM(C1:C45) in cell C46,  At first all goes well, however, the formula is only active (live) once.  In other words, when I return to the table to add new entries in the column it appears that the cell containing the formula no longer active unless I reenter the formula!

Any thoughts?

dumby58

5 Replies
best response confirmed by dumby58 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@dumby58 

Please check if calculation options are set on Automatic

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

I just received your response and all is well.  In my 25 years in using EXCEL I have never encountered this difficulty.  In other words, I didn,t realize you could work in manual or automatic modes.  Oh well, that explains why I can't spell dummy....

Thank you very much Sergei...

dumby58

@Sergei Baklan 

I just received your response and all is well.  In my 25 years in using EXCEL I have never encountered this difficulty.  In other words, I didn't realize you could work in manual or automatic modes.  Oh well, that explains why I can't spell dummy....

Thank you very much Sergei...

dumby58

@dumby58 , you are welcome, glad to help

@dumby58 : had this same issue on a team spreadsheet.  Figured it was done by a co-worker as a once in 25 year occurrence is probably not a software bug.  People lay things on their keyboards or rest their hands on the keys while talking on the phone or ..... .  All sorts of ways to introduce issues without malice intended. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dumby58 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@dumby58 

Please check if calculation options are set on Automatic

image.png

View solution in original post