SOLVED

Subtotal Report Not Working

Iron Contributor

Hi Folks,

I am trying to use the Subtotal Report in Excel, assuming I have the right thing.

The data I have is very simple, in two columns. Column A is a list of names, and Column B is house points. As an example of the data, there are 10 rows with the same name in, but different house points in each row. I want to subtotal the points against each name.

I've run the report, and the subtotals I get are zero. I've set the change to be at the person's name, the function is Sum, and the subtotal is Points.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by CMSCMSCMS (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@CMSCMSCMS Fixed it. There was something odd about the point data. It had the green triangles in the top left corner, although despite a bit of googling I couldn't find any clear information about what they signify other than an error (but this is just numbers?!). I copied the numbers to notepad, then copied them to a new spreadsheet, and now it works.

@CMSCMSCMS Apparently green triangles can signify numbers formatted as text, although I did change the formatting to numbers 🤷‍:male_sign:

@CMSCMSCMS 

Yes, that's only an alert says the values which looks like numbers are saved as text. You may select them and from the icon drop-down menu convert to numbers

image.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CMSCMSCMS (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@CMSCMSCMS Fixed it. There was something odd about the point data. It had the green triangles in the top left corner, although despite a bit of googling I couldn't find any clear information about what they signify other than an error (but this is just numbers?!). I copied the numbers to notepad, then copied them to a new spreadsheet, and now it works.

View solution in original post