Stop Printer Preferences saving with file

Copper Contributor

I have an issue where printing preferences wet within Excel are being saved with the file and so are applying to their users regardless of their default printer preferences.

For example. Everyone in the org. has a default of Black and White printing.  User A is using Excel and changes the print Colour preferences from the "File/Print" dialog to Full Colour and then saves document onto a shared /network drive. User B opens that file and prints without checking settings and realises their print job came out in colour

This is more of an issue when the preference being set is the  selecting the "Secure Print" option so other user's cannot print - is there any setting to prevent this? I've found old references to registry setting "QFE_Sitka" but those articles are all 10+ years old

2 Replies
You are right this can be a pain. I suggest you click on the Help tab and click the Feedback button to send Microsoft feedback about this. You can include a link to this thread in your feedback text too.

I am experiencing the exact same issue, my users have user-specific print stores setup on the printers, so when they go to print, it sends the files to some other users print store. We get told they can't see their files in the printer, because they don't realise it was sent to the wrong place.
We've found if you change the printer in the excel print menu to any other printer option and then change it back to the default one it chooses the default windows printer settings over the saved ones, but this is a temporary workaround not a fix.

@some_name Did you find a permanent fix for this issue?