Stock Prices stop updating - how to fix

Copper Contributor

Suddenly after hitting refresh all to get new share prices nothing happens and all prices are of the previous day. Anyone know what the problem can be? I tried a new spreadsheet, but same happened there.

16 Replies

@Taco_Sieburghsame thing on my side. Stopped updating this morning.

@Taco_Sieburgh Stopped working for me this morning too

That's my problem too. Hoping for an answer

@Taco_Sieburgh 

Me as well.  Would very much appreciate a quick fix / explanation.  I am using Office365 on Windows 10.  Tried updating Office, restarting computer, new workbook.

After an hour on the phone with an excel tech, doing numerous things to try to fix this issue, he conferred with others and it was determined that this is a known issue. There was no information as to when this will be repaired.

As microsoft seems to know, lets hope they fix it. I had read some old message about Connectivity, but I was already granting this. As you can see from the thread there are four others who responded with the same problem. Thanks for letting is know you were on the phone for an hour or with tech staff,.... so I can avoid that. If you hear something please let us know as effecting a lot of people apparently... @Minnee21 

The troubling thing is that it took the Excel tech that long to give me an answer and I was concerned it was my computer, corrupted files, etc. He was not aware of the issue until speaking twice to other techs. As of now, 5:01 pm it’s still not working and this is so frustrating for so many of us!

@Minnee21 

Agreed.  I use this functionality daily.

Same issue here. Stock price stopped updating and price stayed the same as Sep 15's closing price.

@Taco_SieburghExcel still not updating as of this morning.  Quick fix, added Stock Connector to the workbook which at least provides up to date pricing and am looking at the old Google Sheets to determine if it is worth updating.  They are cumbersome and definitely not as pretty as the excel sheets.  I am  chatting again with excel, and I got this info: "Cherly, as I checked, the Excel team is working on it, I can escalate this case to my level 2 team or you can wait for another 24 hours and check later." I asked him to escalate .. ...."I completely understand the concern, let me help you further by escalating and arranging the call back from my level 2 team."  Supposedly someone will call tomorrow as they need 24 hours to "check and get back on this case"  Perhaps if more of us called and chatted, they would do something more quickly.  It doesn't sound as if this is a rush priority for them and it is wrecking havoc with my finances as I use this functionality every day. 

The problem with Stock Connector is that for British share price it shows in Sterling instead of pence, so only when a price moves more than 1% it generates a change. Secondly it refreshes automatically, and not what you want. The frustrating part is that I used Stocks to look at a few names in my pension, so not a professional basis. Maybe Refinitiv kicked us out ??? in which case Microsoft knows how many names are on a spreadsheet and how often refreshed.... in my case it is less than 10 names and refreshed a few times per day. .... or it some other technical software issue at Microsoft. I thought that Microsoft engineers also looked out what is happening on the "tech community" here, so could easily figure out that to date almost a dozen people write they have this problem, so in reality a very large multiple thereof. ... let's hope this can be fixed ....  and your comment that others should also call the helpdesk I am happy to repeat here ... @Minnee21 

@Taco_SieburghYes, I agree, Stock Connector is by no means a solution, as the other excel formulas do not work without current pricing.... it seems that the team at Excel created this program and that they should know how to and be able to repair it.  I'm not sure the engineers look at what is happening on this tech community, I would hope that they do.   I too, use excel sheets for my pension and retirement accounts, and this is extremely frustrating.  I have started to re create the google sheets, it is time consuming to say the least - excel sheets do not graciously convert.  Again, the more people who contact excel, the better our chance of getting this fixed.  It is easy to start a chat session.  As of now I have a call scheduled for 8 am tomorrow with a Level II tech from excel.  We will see what he has to say and I will let everyone know the result of the call.   Thank you all for your support.

@Taco_SieburghStock prices now updating as of 5:22 am EST. 

Thanks for the message and just checked and see that my stock prices started working as well .... shame i see a few minus signs though lol .... did the helpdesk ever explained what happened?? @Minnee21 

@Taco_Sieburgh  I know, right - Sept 15 prices were better, lol.  They are supposed to call me

this morning at 8am.  I'll post what they say.  I'm thankful this was fixed so quickly. 

@Taco_SieburghHello Taco - I spoke with a tech from Microsoft this morning, he stated the problem was a "technical outage" and is now repaired.  I asked him if it was caused by Refinitiv, however he once again stated a "technical outage".  He said to call or chat with a microsoft Tech at any time, at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

I have used this before, and they are helpful.  So all is well now it seems.  Except for the minus numbers, lol.  Thank you for your support.