Staying on the Home Tab

Copper Contributor

To transfer a format using "Format Painter" I have to first select "Home" tab, then highlight the cell with the desired format, then hit "Format Painter" then highlight the target cell. AT this point, the Home tab is no longer active on the ribbon. If I want to transfer another format to another cell I have to first reactivate the Home tab, then high light the desired format, then hit format painter, then hit the target cell.  How do I make the Home tab remain active so I can make multiple format transfers without having to reactivate the Home tab between each transfer?

6 Replies

@BillGulledge I have just repeated your steps and I stay on the Home tab.  Out of interest what Tab are you flipped back to?

@BillGulledge You could right-click copy, move to the cell you want to format and then right-click and select the formatting paste option. 

Or

CTRL + C, move to cell(s) the CTRL+ALT+V  >T 

@BillGulledge 

Double-click the HOME tab to un-collapse the ribbon.

@BillGulledge 

As variant you may right click on Quick Access Toolbar, select Customize and add Format Painter icon to QAT

image.png

Hello @BillGulledge,

I too have repeated your steps and cannot seem to duplicate the Home Tab becoming "inactive". As a note, if you double-click the format painter, then it remains locked. After formatting all of the necessary cells, you may click "Esc" to end the lock on the format painter.

@Patrick2788 I get it now, I didn't realise @BillGulledge had collapsed the ribbon > it makes sense now :)