Status bar only shows zero for value of Objective Cell when Solver is run in "Value Of:" mode

Copper Contributor

When the Solver is run in the mode where the Objective Cell is set to achieve a target by selecting the "Value Of:" radio button in the Solver Options dialogue box (and a value is provided, e.g., 0.0001), the value of the Objective Cell as reported in the Excel Status Bar just shows zero throughout.

The Solver itself still solves just fine, but while it is reporting progress for each Trial Solution to the Status Bar, only zero is shown for the Objective Cell value despite the actual Objective Cell value being clearly non-zero.

This is not the case when the Solver is run to achieve a Max or Min of the Objective Cell.  In these cases, the value of the Objective Cell at each Trial Solution is properly displayed in the status bar.

This seems to be a small but frustrating fault in the way the Solver VBA code reports the value of the Objective Cell to the Status Bar for the "Value Of:" mode.  Could someone please investigate and advise?

I have attached an .xlsx version of a Solver Fault Demo spreadsheet together with a set of instructions to re-create the issue.

Essentially all you need to do is run the Solver in the respective "Min" and "Value of:" modes from the same non-converged starting point, e.g., with the value 30 entered in cell C9 each time.  Of course feel free to change any of the currently "On" values of the Estimates name range to confirm the effect.

When run in the "Min" mode, the non-zero Objective Cell value is displayed as such in the status bar while the solver is solving.  When run in the "Value of:" mode, only zero is shown for the value of the Objective Cell throughout.

For my bet, I would be suspecting that somewhere in the Solver Addin VBA, there is a line of code where the status bar text string is prepared which, for the value of the Objective Cell, is missing the ".Value" property or the Format function argument list is incorrect.  But only in the case where the "Value of:" mode has been selected.

I have tried numerous times, all unsuccessfully, to have this issue addressed by Frontline who consistently just say it is a Microsoft problem.  Of course, there has been similar comments made by Microsoft in relation to Frontline.

Just recently however, I had a Microsoft Agent in the Microsoft Community who agreed that there was an issue and directed me here.

I don't care who fixes it.  It would just be helpful to have the fault attended to.

Regards

0 Replies