SOLVED

Spreadsheet with VBA coding opens blank

Copper Contributor

Dell Latitude laptop E5500

Windows 10 Professional

Excel Office XP Standard (2007 Conversion)

My spreadsheets have been opening fine until I added a "ClearCommand" control. Now when I attempt to open the spreadsheet it opens blank. I can go to Open within the blank sheet and it will open. My Dell 660 PC with Windows 10 Home opens fine. Both computers are using the same Excel software. I sure would appreciate any help.

8 Replies
Can you post a screen-shot? What type of control did you add?

Thanks for the reply.

I recorded a macro and named it "ClearContents". Then I created a button in Draw, and assigned the macro to it. This works fine on my PC, but opens with a blank gray screen on the laptop. I know I said VBA coding, it was a macro instead, to delete user input. Do you think it would make a difference if I create a button with VBA coding instead? I don't have access to the laptop at this time to send a screenshot. I will be glad to send any screenshots later today or tomorrow.

I have discovered this problem has nothing to do with macros or VBA coding. The laptop is my wife's. I have made a few spreadsheets for her. The last one was a year ago and it opens ok. Any spreadsheets made now open with a gray blank screen, with or without controls using macro or VBA. A screenshot is attached. I apologize for the confusion.

If you use FIle, Open to open the file in question, does it open then?
best response confirmed by TheWeav (Copper Contributor)
Solution
That probably means your file associations somehow went haywire. Best is to open Office setup and let it do a Quick repair.

I had already adjusted the file associations in Default Apps, and the File Type in the spreadsheet. It worked perfectly for a couple of reboots, then quit. Thanks to your suggestion, I did the repair. It didn't work at first, so I went back into File Associations and found that the repair had duplicated some of the associations. I clicked on the duplicate files, and when I did, they turned into a single file. Now my spreadsheets are working, with and without macros. I did have to go into my spreadsheets and change a couple of File Types. Thanks again for helping.

You're welcome!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TheWeav (Copper Contributor)
Solution
That probably means your file associations somehow went haywire. Best is to open Office setup and let it do a Quick repair.

View solution in original post