Splitting families into individuals excel formatting

Copper Contributor

Hi, I'm a newbie with excel. I am not having much luck finding a way to take an address list that is formatted with both spouses as a name, and change it to individuals. I Can split the names, text to columns no problem. However, I also have to duplicate it on the next row so that the list is formatted with individuals. here's the example. Im sure it's easy, im just a struggling newb. 

HAVE THIS   
FAMILY  NAMEMEMBER NAMEADDRESS 1CITYSTATEZIPPRIMARY/HOME PHONEEMAIL ADDRESS
DoeJohn and Jane2 Elm StLockwoodIN456789555-555-5555email address removed for privacy reasons ; email address removed for privacy reasons

NEED THIS   
FAMILY  NAMEMEMBER NAMEADDRESS 1CITYSTATEZIPPRIMARY/HOME PHONEEMAIL ADDRESS
DoeJohn2 Elm StLockwoodIN456789555-555-5555email address removed for privacy reasons
DoeJane2 Elm StLockwoodIN456789555-555-5555email address removed for privacy reasons

11 Replies

@jasonsheeley 

A possible solution could be Power Query if you can use this feature.

family name.JPG

@OliverScheurich 

can you elaborate? Appreciate the help.

@jasonsheeley 

If Power Query is available on your computer you can open the file that is attached to my previous post. Then you can enter data in the blue dynamic table. Then you can click in any cell of the green table, right-click with the mouse and refresh.

Ok i gave it a shot. The problem is these lists are usually emailed to me with already of over 300 contacts as couples. I just need to split it up

@jasonsheeley

Did you get the expected result? If so it should be possible to copy the 300+ contacts from the other file and paste them into the blue dynamic table. Then you can refresh the green table. In the attached file i've rearranged the layout of the tables. You can enter huge numbers of contacts in the blue table.

power query.JPG

@OliverScheurich 

i was sent with the name in one row. I split them up with text to columns. I should have included the specific layout in the beginning. I see what you are saying with copy and pasting to your data query file, but my info is going all over the place. this is an example of where I am now. Under family it would have said Accardo John & marlene. 

FAMILYNAME    Primary Addressaddress 2CityStatezipPrimary PhoneE-Mail Address
AccardoJohn&Marlene  68 elm CodyWY82414307-586-0000email address removed for privacy reasons
AdkinsJoanneanddavid  2202 main St CodyWY82414307-527-0000email address removed for privacy reasons
AgudoFreddy&mary  PO Box main CodyWY83214000-000-000email address removed for privacy reasons
AlexanderSteven&dennis  1313 Red elm ave. CodyWY82414  
AlvaradoNicole&jamie  29 house rd HendersonNV89011307-527-0000 

@jasonsheeley 

If you have 365 you might use a LAMBDA.

This LAMBDA simply pulls each row twice.

=LAMBDA(range,LET(data,range,r,ROWS(data),CHOOSEROWS(data,INT(SEQUENCE(r*2,,1,1/2)))))

This formula uses SCAN on the Member Name column. With the aid of some extraction, it pulls the name before or after the "and" where needed:

=LAMBDA(range,SCAN("",CHOOSECOLS(PullRows(range),2),LAMBDA(a,v,IF(TEXTBEFORE(v," ")=a,TEXTAFTER(v," and "),TEXTBEFORE(v," ")))))

HSTACK combines the arrays horizontally:

=LET(data,E2:L4,HSTACK(TAKE(PullRows(data),,1),MemberName(data),CHOOSECOLS(PullRows(data),SEQUENCE(,6,3,1))))

@jasonsheeley 

The attached file transforms the data based on where you are now.

power query family.JPG

Thanks for the help, im still trying to get it to work. Well, i am trying to use the tool properly, im sure it works. It's my lack of excel skill! i keep getting errors but im pretty sure it's user error.

@jasonsheeley 

Sub names()

Dim i As Long
Dim j As Long
Dim k As Long

Range("P:AB").Clear

k = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

j = 2
For i = 2 To k

Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 13)).Copy Destination:=Range(Cells(j, 16), Cells(j, 28))
Range(Cells(j, 18), Cells(j, 19)).Clear
j = j + 1

Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 13)).Copy Destination:=Range(Cells(j, 16), Cells(j, 28))
Cells(j, 17).Value = Cells(j, 19).Value
Range(Cells(j, 18), Cells(j, 19)).Clear
j = j + 1

Next i

End Sub

You can try these lines of code. In the attached file in sheet "Tabelle2" you can click the button in cell O2 to run the macro.

After copying your data select cell A2 in sheet "Tabelle2" and paste the data. The data should be entered in columns A to M. There can be hundreds of rows (actually tens of thousands, however that would affect the runtime of the macro) in columns A to M.

duplicate family names.JPG 

This is amazing!