split cell button not working

Copper Contributor

Not sure what I might be doing wrong but trying to get my split cell button to work. The button from ym understanding is supposed to be under the merge tab. It was not I added it in under a new tab. I selected the row I wanted to split it into two rows didnt work. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to fix this? The button is not working in a blank document with no formatting in addition to the actual document I am using. 

2 Replies

@wheppner 

Can someone point me in the right direction of how to fix this?

I'm not 100% positive about this, but am reasonably confident: the "split cell" capability that you're referring to only applies to cells that have previously been merged. In other words, it's there to restore "normal" cell alignment; it's not there to take an otherwise normal cell and turn it into two cells. That would wreak havoc in formulas, for one thing.

Assuming that's correct--and as I said I'm reasonably confident that it is--how about backing up and giving us an idea of what you're trying to do: is it making a heading section more detailed, for example? 

If it's possible, perhaps you could post a copy of the spreadsheet in question on OneDrive or GoogleDrive, with a link pasted here that grants access to it. Then accompany that with the clear description of what you are wanting to do that has led you to want to split a cell or two.

Are you working with tables in MS Word?