# SPill

Copper Contributor

how do I get rid of #spill?

5 Replies

@fodalys 

You may empty the space for it, or place in another place, or re-write the formula

@Sergei Baklan how do you stop excel from doing the Spill, like I would like my computer to forget how to use that function even if I can because it just always gets in the way and has not been useful for me

@Stone4Life 

Are you any happier with Excel now?  If it is any consolation, I detest the A1 notation and the concept of relative referencing, but I can't make that go away either!  Excel makes a remarkably good attempt at being all things to all people but it is not possible to please all the people all the time.

Trust me, dynamic arrays and spilt ranges represent a superb advance and it is well worth taking the time to learn to exploit them to the full.

Hey @Peter Bartholomew so you're saying I can't stop excel from doing the spill, or deactivate this function somehow?

Exactly, though I guess you could buy and install Office 2019; the last non-DA version of Excel! The calculation engine was revamped to feature arrays, with large gains in performance. Under the hood, Excel always performed array calculations since the 2D array is the only data structure Excel has ever had. Calculation within Name Manager or Conditional formatting etc. always would have given an array result; only on the grid did Excel replace multi-cell range references by a single cell to ensure the returned value would be a scalar. To override this behaviour the formula had to be committed using CSE.

Now this odd state of affairs has been reversed. To get the old behaviour, you have to insert an "@" before any multi-cell range reference, in order to single out the element that happens to be on the same row/column as the formula cell.