Spell Check in Excel Threaded Comments

Copper Contributor

Hi, I have been trying to find a solution for this issue for a couple of hours but in vain. We have recently switched to using the new excel office 365 feature "threaded comments" where one can add comments which can be replied to etc. so that colleagues can discuss items within excel spreadsheets. However, when I run a spell check through the file it never picks up typos in the threaded comments. Could anyone help me here in case I have not enabled a setting that I should have or if you have come across a similar situation before? What's strange is that my spell check used to work perfectly in the erstwhile comments (the yellow background pop-up box) which are now renamed as "Notes".

5 Replies

@tarvinder87 

Interesting question. Will try to dig around.

Thank you! This has me banging my head for hours!

@Sergei Baklan Any luck with the question above? Were you able to reproduce this at your end?

@tarvinder87 

Most probably that is by design but I didn't find direct conformation. Excel for web highlights spelling errors while you edit the comment, but not after it is submitted.

You may vote here https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/41224963... for such spell check

Thanks @Sergei Baklan for confirming that this is by design. I've voted on the page as you suggested, however, it is just so perplexing for me that MS would not have such a critical feature turned on and that too when it used to (and still does) on notes.:smirking_face: