Something very easy

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am good with Excel, I create and manage large spreadsheets with algorimths.

This question is not for me, this is for my friend. He has almost no skill or experience with Excel. He can barely use Excel, and he can successfully check his email most of the time.

He wants to take a large sheetsheet of data, and manually break it up into blocks. Then email that block. The block is about 20 rows and 50 columns, but the exact amount does not matter.

For me, I would highlight the block, copy paste it into a new spreadsheet, then email the file. But that is too complicated for him, he needs to be able to to this in 2 mouse clicks or less. My friend has a memory issue, he has a hard time remembering most new things, and even a process of 2 mouse clicks will strain him.

​If I highlight the block, and then print to file, it puts the file onto several separate papers, and that is not a solution, the block must stay on 1 sheet.

What solution is there that takes 2 mouse clicks or less, and has a low chance of mistakes and failure, thank you.

3 Replies

@User537843 

For your friend, a simple solution that involves minimal mouse clicks and reduces the chance of mistakes is to use the "Page Layout" feature to print the selected block on one sheet. Here are the steps:

1. Open the Excel spreadsheet with the large dataset.
  2. Highlight the block of data that your friend wants to print.
  3. Go to the "Page Layout" tab in the Excel ribbon.
  4. In the "Page Setup" group, click on the small arrow in the bottom-right corner to open the "Page Setup" dialog box.
  5. In the "Page Setup" dialog box, go to the "Print Area" section.
  6. Choose the option "Set Print Area."
  7. Now, go to the "File" tab and select "Print."
  8. In the Print settings, make sure to select "Active Sheet(s)" under the "Print What" option.
  9. Click "Print."

This process sets the print area to the selected block, and by choosing "Active Sheet(s)," it ensures that only the selected block will be printed on one sheet. Your friend can save this as a one-time setup, and every time he needs to print that specific block, it will be a quick two-click process. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@User537843 

Here are some options for your friend to manually break up a large Excel sheet into blocks and email them in 2 mouse clicks or less, with a low chance of mistakes and failure:

1. Kutools for Excel Add-in:

• This third-party add-in offers a "Split to Multiple Workbooks" option that lets you divide a sheet into blocks based on rows or columns with just two clicks. You can download a free trial to see if it suits your friend's needs.

2. Excel Macros:

• You can create a simple macro that highlights a predefined block (e.g., 20 rows x 50 columns) and automatically generates a new email with the content as an attachment. This requires some technical knowledge, but you can find pre-made macros online or ask you for help writing a simple one.

3. Use Google Sheets:

• Upload the Excel sheet to Google Sheets. Google Sheets has a "Sheets Add-on" called "Split Sheet" that can split the sheet into smaller sheets with 2 clicks. The recipient can then receive the split sheets as individual emails directly from Google Sheets.

4. Third-party email services:

• Some email services, like Mailchimp or Constant Contact, allow you to upload large files and segment them into smaller blocks for sending multiple emails. This might be a bit more complex than 2 clicks, but it offers more control over the recipient list and email formatting.

5. Alternative workflows:

• Consider breaking down the task into smaller steps that your friend can handle, even if it takes more than 2 clicks in total. For example, highlight 20 rows at a time, copy them, paste them into a new, pre-formatted blank email template, and send it. This might be easier for him to remember and manage.

Remember:

• Choose the option that best suits your friend's technical skills and comfort level. Simplicity is key.
  • Test the chosen solution thoroughly before suggesting it to your friend, making sure it works consistently and with minimal steps.
  • Offer him ongoing support and assistance if needed, especially if he struggles with new tools or processes.

I hope this helps!

Here are some options for your friend to manually break up a large Excel sheet into blocks and email them in 2 mouse clicks or less, with a low chance of mistakes and failure:

1. Kutools for Excel Add-in:

• This third-party add-in offers a "Split to Multiple Workbooks" option that lets you divide a sheet into blocks based on rows or columns with just two clicks. You can download a free trial to see if it suits your friend's needs.

2. Excel Macros:

• You can create a simple macro that highlights a predefined block (e.g., 20 rows x 50 columns) and automatically generates a new email with the content as an attachment. This requires some technical knowledge, but you can find pre-made macros online or ask you for help writing a simple one.

3. Use Google Sheets:

• Upload the Excel sheet to Google Sheets. Google Sheets has a "Sheets Add-on" called "Split Sheet" that can split the sheet into smaller sheets with 2 clicks. The recipient can then receive the split sheets as individual emails directly from Google Sheets.

4. Third-party email services:

• Some email services, like Mailchimp or Constant Contact, allow you to upload large files and segment them into smaller blocks for sending multiple emails. This might be a bit more complex than 2 clicks, but it offers more control over the recipient list and email formatting.

5. Alternative workflows:

• Consider breaking down the task into smaller steps that your friend can handle, even if it takes more than 2 clicks in total. For example, highlight 20 rows at a time, copy them, paste them into a new, pre-formatted blank email template, and send it. This might be easier for him to remember and manage.

Remember:

• Choose the option that best suits your friend's technical skills and comfort level. Simplicity is key.
  • Test the chosen solution thoroughly before suggesting it to your friend, making sure it works consistently and with minimal steps.
  • Offer him ongoing support and assistance if needed, especially if he struggles with new tools or processes.

I hope this will help for you

If it will be e-mailed why not copy and paste directly into the e-mail?
they could also use Win-Shift-S (to screen capture an area) and then paste that image into the email.
Since you are talking about putting it in a new workbook and sending that workbook I assume you don't want them to have/see the rest of the data. A trick I have done using google sheets is to have a master workbook and a tab in that master workbook that I use to pull out the appropriate data. Then I have another google sheets workbook that uses the function importrange and pull in everything from that tab. To set it up you have to give the 'outside sheet' permission to access that main sheet, but only 1 time. The function call uses a range parameter so security wise, if the end person can guess the names of your tabs they could see the other data from other tabs. I usually just e-mail a pdf of that separate file so they can't even try that. But you can make those tab names obscur enough to be as good as a password and once set up the 'end user' would automatically get the updated data. I thnk a similar set-up can be done using oneDrive but I have had issues with data updating and getting the security setting right when I originally set it up years ago.