SOLVED

Small but annoying issue (Excel Online)

Copper Contributor

Hello!

I've never had this issue before while using excel online.

It started a week ago, can't recall exactly what was being done to the document, but it only happens with this entire worksheet no matter the tab.

A "phantom" row appeared in between the upper left corner and row number 1 (Shown in picture)

It is not a big deal but it becomes annoying the further down you go, messing with the alignment. I'm just a beginner on this program, could really use some help.

Awayus_0-1651775332988.png

A bit more info:

- Not frozen rows

- You can right or left click that empty space, but nothing comes up

- No hidden rows nor columns.

5 Replies

@Awayus 

I'm having this same issue.  It only happens when I paste.  The only way I've found to "fix" it is to close the workbook and re-open.  Following for updates.

That worked for a while but it suddenly stopped working.

Oddly enough it did start happening after I've pasted something into a merged cell, sad but glad I'm not alone in this.
best response confirmed by Awayus (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Awayus 

I found a new fix for my pasting issue yesterday - if I use ctrl+shift+v (instead of ctrl+v), the misalignment doesn't happen, and will even fix it if I used ctrl+v first. 

Amazing finding, this actually fixed my issue. I copied a random cell and pasted on another random spot to be specific; I've copied cell A2851, and, paste it using ctrl+shift+v in cell A3005, and it aligned all the rows. (Cell A2851 had data on it, cell A3005 was empty).

Hi @Awayus 

Follow these steps:

1. Highlight the first blank row below your data (i.e. the first row you want to delete)

2. Hit the ctrl + shift + down arrow to highlight all of the rows below

3. Right-click the row labels (where each row's number is shown) on the left side and select "delete" in order to delete all of these rows.

4. Hit ctrl + home in order to go back to the top of the document.

5. Hit ctrl + s in order to save the document. As it saves, you should see the scroll bar on the right side change, indicating that the blank rows are disappearing.

Regards,

Suyash

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Awayus (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Awayus 

I found a new fix for my pasting issue yesterday - if I use ctrl+shift+v (instead of ctrl+v), the misalignment doesn't happen, and will even fix it if I used ctrl+v first. 

View solution in original post