Slicers not appearing for Excel Online

Copper Contributor

Hi all

I downloaded an Excel spreadsheet from a course I am taking online. I created a pivot table and chart as instructed by the instructor. The next step is to add slicers. I am not seeing the "analyze" or the "slicer" button anywhere. At one point, I think I did see the "slicer" action but it was greyed out.

Is this option even available on Excel online ? Where can I "add on" this feature. 

Thanks ! 

7 Replies

@VF_17 

Excel online has limited functionality, some commands are not available in this version.

Advanced time filtering (Timeline slicer) Not available Excel for the web

Application features

1 Cannot create PivotCharts, view only.

2 Depending on how your environment is configured, some kinds of data connections are supported for workbooks displayed in Excel for the web. For more information, see Refreshing data in a workbook in a browser window.

3 You cannot create or run macros with VBA in Excel for the web, but you can open and edit VBA-enabled spreadsheets without removing (or corrupting) the VBA contained in the file.

4 In Excel for the web, the last known reference value displays in the browser window; however, it must be updated using the Excel desktop app.

5 Some, but not all, Office add-ins are available.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/office-online-service-description/off...

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

@VF_17 

Interface for working with PivotTable in Excel Online is slightly different from desktop version.

If you stay on PivotTable, this tab on ribbon shall appear

image.png

as well as right pane. If you hover the mouse on the field in right pane it will show that drop-down menu exists, click on arrow down at the right and from here you may add slicer

image.png

In addition, if you click Settings icon under PivotTable on ribbon, another right pane appears where you could play with PivotTable settings

image.png

Please note so far you can't add slicer for the Table in Excel Online, only for the PivotTable. Most probably this icon for Table you see on ribbon as greyed out. Forget about it for now, it do nothing.

@Sergei Baklan Do you know if it's possible to link Slicers with multiple Pivot Tables with Excel Online? In the Desktop version you could right click and select the Report Connections but I can't see this anywhere on the Online version.

@GavinJB 

Afraid that doesn't work, at least I don't know about such possibility in current version.

@VF_17 

Unfortunatelly, i dont finf any add-in for excel web, we should wait of  new excel abilities.

@Sergei Baklan Do you know whether it's feasible to connect Slicers with numerous Pivot Tables with Excel Online? In the Desktop adaptation you could right snap and select the Report Connections yet I can't see this anyplace on the Online rendition.

@johnjolly12 , no, I didn't hear such functionality was implemented