SOLVED

Sheet Content Not Responding

Brass Contributor

I copied all the data from several sheets into one sheet; That sheet now has more than 700,000 items. 

I want to now format some of the columns, for instance center A, change A and D to Date. 

When I try to center the headers move but not the data in the column. When I change the type from General to Date there is no change to the data.

Phishdawg_0-1680994243517.png

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Phishdawg (Brass Contributor)
Solution
The fact that A and D are lined up on the left side of the cell would indicate that they're there as text, not as numbers. What you'll need to do is create a couple of temporary "helper columns" so as to convert the text into values. The formula =VALUE(A2) copied down in the column to the bottom of all these rows will turn 43619 into whatever value it is; then you'll be able to format that value as a date. Once that's done, assuming you want it in column A, you can select the entire column from that temporary helper column and do a Copy.....Paste Special .... Values and Number Format from the helper column into column A. Just make sure you use Copy and Paste Special ... Then the same with column D.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Phishdawg (Brass Contributor)
Solution
The fact that A and D are lined up on the left side of the cell would indicate that they're there as text, not as numbers. What you'll need to do is create a couple of temporary "helper columns" so as to convert the text into values. The formula =VALUE(A2) copied down in the column to the bottom of all these rows will turn 43619 into whatever value it is; then you'll be able to format that value as a date. Once that's done, assuming you want it in column A, you can select the entire column from that temporary helper column and do a Copy.....Paste Special .... Values and Number Format from the helper column into column A. Just make sure you use Copy and Paste Special ... Then the same with column D.

View solution in original post