Share link to excel in SharePoint with filters applied

Brass Contributor

I have a large spreadsheet that has a column with people names.  This file is stored in SharePoint.  The idea would be I share the link to each person who appears in the name column and they filter for their name only for them to view what's applicable to them.

Seems simple enough but for some reason people at my company cant seem to figure out simple things like they need to filter on their name, even if I tell them.  Ridiculous but that's the say it is.

Is there a way to generate a link for each person to the same excel file but the link will include filtering so they will be default only see rows that apply to them?

If this isn't possible I could create individual files for each person with tis own link and then bring all these together into a single Master file which i can see but that's a bit laborious because there could be hundreds of people to create individual files for.  Or is there an easy way to do this?

Suggestions welcomed. 

Thanks.

3 Replies
I don't really understand the challenge but it is easy enough to write a VBA function that returns the username. Something like

Public Function vbUserName() As Variant
vbUserName = Application.UserName
End Function

That might help you with the auto-filter. For example, you could stick that function into Auto_Open to hide all rows that do not match that name.

@ecovonrein Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately the format of the username the code will return won't match the format of the name column that I want to apply the filter automatically. 

Hard luck. There are only two answers. 1) Update your database to reflect Window's perception of the users' names; or 2) create another database of aliases that maps your name to Window's name. You cannot expect to find a second token that matches your database unless perhaps the database was generated from those tokens in the first place.

Another option might be to try fuzzy logic, like the credit card processors or Google do, eg count the characters that match between the two. If >90%, assume a hit. That sort of thing.