separate a column

Copper Contributor

My sample data has a column by Gender and another column for the corresponding Height.  I inserted a new column between those two columns.  I need all of the Females to be in one column and all the Males to be in another column.   How do I do this?

3 Replies

@just4kjs 

I inserted a new column between those two columns.  I need all of the Females to be in one column and all the Males to be in another column.   How do I do this?

How are they identified in that one column? By the words "Female" and "Male"? Something else? The answer to the "How" depends on how you've got the genders identified now.

BUT can I also ask another question: WHY do you want to separate the genders in the first place? In a well designed database, you might well have a column that is headed "Gender," and that column contains designations like "M" and "F" [and these days it could have additional words or codes], and then you'd have other columns with such things as name, height, eye color, education--=whatever you're tracking==but there'd be no need to separate the people (or their associated characteristics) into different columns based on their gender. So what is it that makes you think that's a necessary or good idea?

Excel has wonderful data processing capabilities when working with a well-designed database. So my concern is that there needs to be a good reason to make the change you're describing.

[I ask, by the way, as a person who was the director of a major corporation's HR/Payroll database for many years before I retired; it's not a frivolous question.]

Hello Mathetes. Thank you for your response. I have a data set of Gender and Height. I am trying to find the P value and also do a T test for the Mean. I thought I needed the Mean and Standard Deviation for Males, then for Females and then BOTH. So I did separate the genders and did the mean and standard deviation for all three of them. But I don't know how to plug in the numbers or what numbers to use in order to get the "Standard Error", Null Hypothesis (µ=?) and the "T Test Statistic". I need to do a Left Tailed Test and find the Critical Value and P Value so I can Accept or Reject the Ho.

@just4kjs 

Now you're asking an altogether different set of questions, ones I can't help you with. (I've never studied statistics or statistical analysis, despite two graduate level degrees.) My only point (and the basis for my question about "Why?") was that Excel could handle whatever analyses and processing you're doing without separating males from females into separate columns. I still will hold to that position, but as to your questions on 

"Standard Error", Null Hypothesis (µ=?), the "T Test Statistic", Left Tailed Test, the Critical Value and P Value

I must defer to others. Best wishes.