SOLVED

Sensitivity option is unavailable in Excel 365 proplus

MVP

I have Office 365 E5 and enterprise mobility + security E5 subscriptions,

I have Office 365 proplus (enrolled into insider) installed on my Windows 10 insider fast ring,

I have configured the sensitivity settings here, created label that includes all of my organization and also published it for all users

Annotation 2019-12-06 011448.png

still when i go to Excel 365, the sensitivity option is unavailable. the same happens in Word.

Annotation 2019-12-06 011616.png

I already checked out this article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/known-issues-with-sensitivity-labels-in-office-b169d687-2bb...

13 Replies

@HotCakeX 

We are on E3 and I created sensitivity labels long ago on Azure portal, after that publish on O365 when the option appeared.

Right now added one more label from admin center, see it from Azure information protection client, but label didn't appear so far in built-in into app sensitivity client, also Insiders Fast.

Will check tomorrow once more, perhaps it takes time to deploy the label.

Thanks, hope we both will get it to work on Office 365 desktop apps, i never tried Azure information protection client but i will soon

@HotCakeX 

In addition - I see the label now. So, created new label in Admin center, published on myself only, waited for a while and it's here.

@Sergei Baklan 

I think there is a problem with my account,

i downloaded Azure Information protection Unified Labeling 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53018

signed into my Office 365 account, after that I'm getting these errors on Excel and also when i try to protect a picture from my desktop

fdfdf.png

fddsf.png

after that I checked this guide

https://support.rm.com/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC6129273&nav=0

but there is a problem with it.

in this part

"

Check onboarding control group
  1. Log on to Office 365 as a global administrator.
  2. From the Office 365 Admin Centre, click Groups.
  3. Select the Azure Rights Management group with email address AzureRMSgroup@<domain>.onmicrosoft.com.
  4. View the members and confirm that the affected user is listed.

in my Office 365 admin center => groups, there is only 1 group that it's the one i created myself, nothing else.

any ideas how can i fix those errors?

@Sergei Baklan 

Also,

i clicked on publish in here

fdf.png

gfdsg.png

I installed Azure information protection UL on my computer instead of the other one, the classic one.

the account i log into has all the licenses and it's the global administrator, the first account I made in my office 365.

Sorry i know it's becoming more about Azure than Excel but i just found this in the log file

Debug 2019-12-06 .6545 MSIP.Lib MSIP.App (22580) Failed to get user info because user is not joined to a domain "Microsoft.InformationProtection.Lib.Utilities.Win32ErrorException (0x00000534): GetUserNameEx failed for format: [NameUserPrincipal], Error: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done

at Microsoft.InformationProtection.Lib.Utilities.UserInfo.GetUserName(ExtendedNameFormat nameFormat)

@HotCakeX 

I have no such group as well. What about Protection Activation, is it on?

image.png

Yes it's on, just like in your screenshot,

btw my Windows 10, when i first installed it, connected to my personal Microsoft account (@outlook.com), after that I only signed into Office 365 apps and AIP_UL using my Office 365 (AAD) account, not sure if it's an issue

@HotCakeX 

Yah, it looks like something is with the account, but that's out of my knowledge. I only may to test some later on another machine where Windows main account (MSA) and Office one (work account) are different.

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@Sergei Baklan 

Okay i managed to fix it by uninstalling Azure Information protection Unified labeling and installing Azure Information protection classic client instead

Annotation 2019-12-06 230608.pngAnnotation 2019-12-06 230803.png

now it's working

this is from my test VM and that's my test label that finally appeared

Annotation 2019-12-06 230203.png

Annotation 2019-12-06 232135.png

on a side note,
I tried installing Windows 10 enterprise 1909 on Hyper-V VM, connected it during initial setup to my AAD, installed AIP UL on it as well as Office 365 proplus package, still was getting the same errors, that rules out the need for connecting a Windows device to AAD in order for AIP to work.

I don't know what's the problem with the Unified labeling client but i will try to ask it in the Azure section.

by the way, do you have the AIP classic or the unified labeling client on your system?

any differences between those 2?

@HotCakeX 

Great to know, thank you for the update. I guess I have classic client on work machine if only it wasn't updated on unified one automatically (can't check right now) - I added labels before they appeared in Office 365 Security & Compliance center. Azure portal was the only option.

By the way, I checked on my home PC - Win10 login with MSA account, Office 365 Insiders Fast with AAD work account, labeling client built-in into Office app. All works.

Thanks, for me only Azure labels are working so i have to figure out what's wrong with my Office 365 Security & Compliance center labels.
I'm still in the learning phase so it might be that i missed something, I wish the client would tell me why it can't download the policies from Office 365 so i could go check that area
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@Sergei Baklan 

Okay i managed to fix it by uninstalling Azure Information protection Unified labeling and installing Azure Information protection classic client instead

Annotation 2019-12-06 230608.pngAnnotation 2019-12-06 230803.png

now it's working

this is from my test VM and that's my test label that finally appeared

Annotation 2019-12-06 230203.png

Annotation 2019-12-06 232135.png

on a side note,
I tried installing Windows 10 enterprise 1909 on Hyper-V VM, connected it during initial setup to my AAD, installed AIP UL on it as well as Office 365 proplus package, still was getting the same errors, that rules out the need for connecting a Windows device to AAD in order for AIP to work.

I don't know what's the problem with the Unified labeling client but i will try to ask it in the Azure section.

by the way, do you have the AIP classic or the unified labeling client on your system?

any differences between those 2?

View solution in original post