SOLVED

Select all cells using certain font color -then prepend a charachter (up arrow) to content.

Copper Contributor

Excel on Windows 10 PC

I'm trying to select cells that use a certain font color.   My goal after selection is to prepend an "up arrow" character to indicate "increase".   (I have to do the same to cells using red for decrease).   They are scattered throughout this sheet so I need to find all such cells.

Thanks

6 Replies

@lsuel65 I suggest you look into Conditional Formatting to set the colors and icons. I've attached an example.

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 06.58.40.png

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thank you so much for this.  I'm trying to study this and looking at the rules you've offered.  My situation differs only a bit in that I was given a sheet where the numeric value has no indication if it is greater or less than 0 other than the color. (no "- or + "signs and no ">" or "<" signs.     So with thousands of cells randomly using red or green text I can only select based on color and then apply an icon based on that.

I'm not sure given my limited experience with this if you've already shown that.  Certainly your example in the end is EXACTLY how I hope mine to look once done!!  

With appreciation:

lsuel65

@lsuel65 But one question remains, and that's where the colors come from in the first place. Did someone mark them manually or is there some intelligence behind it? If the latter, which I hope,, then you can use the same logic to add the icons.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

So the colors come from data from "insights" in an online account.  it must be *somewhere* I don't have access to that data.  green-red-font.JPG Here's what it looks like. I was hoping to just select all "green" cells and add and "up" arrow. Mostly because it seems weak to just have a color indicate positive and negative. Furthermore status can't be determined when printed out easily unless in color.

best response confirmed by lsuel65 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@lsuel65 If you can't get your hands on the source data and calculate a plus or a minus, you would need VBA to read out the font color for each cell. Not something I'm getting involved in. Sorry!

Ok of course! Thank you for offering your help! Neither of us need to get involved more than this. I appreciate your explanations! :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by lsuel65 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@lsuel65 If you can't get your hands on the source data and calculate a plus or a minus, you would need VBA to read out the font color for each cell. Not something I'm getting involved in. Sorry!

View solution in original post