SOLVED

scatter plot line problem

Copper Contributor

I cannot create a "scatter plot with straight lines".

Here is a screen shot of a plot:

scatter prob.jpg

This is a scatter plot, but I have selected "scatter with straight lines and markers".

Changing chart type to "scatter" and back to "scatter with straight lines..." does nothing.

I am using WIN 11 Home; Microsoft 365; Microsoft Excel for Microsoft 365 MSO 64 bit.

Plot selections do not seem to work right.

Any ideas?

thanks for the help

5 Replies

@justa-user 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

@Hans Vogelaar 

I have attached a sample file.

@justa-user 

Thanks! There are empty cells between the data points of each series. By default, these are displayed as gaps in the chart. To change this:

• Click anywhere in the chart.
  • On the Chart Design tab of the ribbon, click Select Data.
  • Click the 'Hidden and Empty Cells' button.
  • Select 'Connect data points with line'.
  • Click OK, then click OK again.

S1980.png

S1981.png

Yeah that works. Thank you. How obscure. I have used Excel since its beginning and done lots of plots. This must be something new... but it does get the result that I wanted.
thanks again
best response confirmed by justa-user (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@justa-user 

The data points for a chart series are usually in adjacent cells. If there is an empty cell in between, it often means that there are missing data. But here, there are many empty cells between the data points because of the layout of the source range. So that's different.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by justa-user (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@justa-user 

The data points for a chart series are usually in adjacent cells. If there is an empty cell in between, it often means that there are missing data. But here, there are many empty cells between the data points because of the layout of the source range. So that's different.

View solution in original post