Saving recovery files over existing files by accident

Copper Contributor

I am on Windows 10. My computer shut off and apparently there were files that were put in recovery. I accidentally saved one over another file by accident and lost all the information. I tried to recover it, but for some stupid reason, Microsoft doesn't automatically have the OneCloud or Microsoft Share files automatically turned on.  I can't find a history of the file anywhere. I lost a years worth of information in one key stroke that will take weeks to re-enter. Any suggestions?

2 Replies

Hi @Angie2020,

Locate your file in File Explorer, right click and look for version history. If you are lucky, you'll see all the changes you made. 

Or right click, properties, click on the "Previous version" tab.

I'm going to assume you didn't have any backup of that file... if I'm wrong, restore the latest backup (obviously :) ).

@Bennadeau Thank you. Unfortunately, there are no previous copies.  One problem I discovered with Windows 10.  You never had to turn on a backup before. With this version, they don't tell you that you do, until you need it and find out you did.  Over an entire year of information gone in one mistake click. Thanks Microsoft!