Saving Excel format changes for frequent use

Copper Contributor

Our department uses Excel as a go-between to export data from our event booking system and into our staff scheduling system. The data, once exported from our booking system, has to be tweaked before importing it into the scheduling system. I am looking for a solution to help speed up this process. Some examples of the changes that have to be made each time are:

- change date format

- change time format

- remove decimals from numbers in a specific column

- combining cells with formula (i.e. - start & end time are exported into 2 separate cells, I add a column & I use the formula '=TEXT(E2,"h:mma/p")&"-"&TEXT(F2,"h:mma/p")' to combine, then copy & paste values so only the combination is in the cell & no longer the formula)

Is there a way to change all of this information at once rather than each column of data individually? Is there another clever workaround altogether? I am sure that using Excel as a go-between is a common practice, and I am hoping someone out there has a solution we can adopt.  

1 Reply

@kcosner -

Yes, look into Power Query. 

On the Ribbon, for my version, it is Data > Get & Transform Data > select the connection.