Saving data connection password

Copper Contributor

My goal is to create an Excel spreadsheet that connects to an SQL Server database using database credentials.  We have created a generic read only database login with access to the data so that we don't have to provide user specific access to the db.  However, I can create the spreadsheet, connect to the SQL Server database, retrieve and refresh the information fine but when I give the spreadsheet to a colleague, they can't refresh the data because the database username and password has disappeared.

I've read some posts online where they indicate that there is a "save login/password" somewhere when you create the connection, but I'm guessing these are for older versions of Excel as the walk-throughs they provide don't match up with what I'm seeing in the Office 365 for Business version of Excel I'm using.

Any suggestions?

1 Reply

@Shawn_Wesley 

It depends on how do you connect. If with Power Query it shall keep the credentials for Basic authentication, for Windows/Organizational one it will use current user's account. With it asks to sign-in user first time and after that shall keep the credentials for that user and same file.