Save as PDF

Copper Contributor

I want to save as PDF. I have selected A4 as paper size.

I complete the 'SAVE AS' process, then open the PDF with Adobe.

Select File, Properties, Description to display the paper size. The paper size shown is 11.00 x 8.50 (Letter)

How do I make Excel save as a PDF in my chosen paper size of A4?

3 Replies

@reform-automation 

When exporting an Excel spreadsheet as a PDF file, the page dimensions may change

Symptoms

When using Excel if the page break size is altered to modify the print area, on exporting the Spreadsheet to PDF, the resulting page size may differ than what is set in the original document.

Cause

The problem is that when a PostScript printer is selected as the default printer for Excel, the application does not scale the sheet size. This behavior is because with PostScript the output device does the scaling rather than Excel.

Resolution

To workaround this behavior, choose a PCL type printer as the default prior to exporting the document.

A suggested solution would be to set the print area to the marking (Page Layout - Page setup - Print area)
and save via "Save as" as PDF (select as file type)
Normally, the print area of the active spreadsheet is written into the PDF.

Hope I could help you with these information 

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE 

Thanks for the instructions. It took me some time to work through and experiment with settings.

It would seem my problem had to do with Office365 having disabled the integration of Adobe Acrobat DC also installed on my laptop, which resulted in Excel doing what it wanted to do when 'saving as PDF'

By 'reactivating' Adobe Acrobat DC, printing returned to how I had configured.

The Excel files I use are created from templates I have developed over several years and do include page layout commands. When Office365 chose to disable Adobe Acrobat DC, changing any of the Page Layout setting in an Excel file made no difference to the resulting PDF produced.

I am pleased that you have found a solution (or a detour :).

I wish you a lot of success with Excel and wish you a Merry Christmas.