Same condition for a set number of columns

Copper Contributor

I have a set of columns that have exactly the same condition but each one is independent to the other , which means whenever i want to change a parameter in a column i will have to make the change throughout all the columns 

I want when i change a parameter it's applied to all columns 

6 Replies

Hi @HassanBosha 

generally spoken, you would put your parameter in a dedicated cell (or cell range of you have more parameters) and then refer to that cell/range from all your columns.

But if you can upload an example file, we could give a more precise advise.

@Martin_Weiss 

Here i have the exact same condition for specific set of columns each has 3 condition but they all have the same condition with the same parameters 

Can i put like comma between the range of the colomn in "applies to" cell or what can i do ?

@HassanBosha 

You may combine columns in Applied To

image.png

In general, one color - one rule

Hi @HassanBosha 

sorry, I was not aware that you are speaking about formatting rules.

What exactly is it, that you need to change in these rules?

Is it the "30" in formula =TODAY-G8<30?

Or what is the parameter that you need to change?

@Martin_Weiss 

Yes Mainly the 30 in all conditions in all columns that has similar formulas but different column names

Hi @HassanBosha 

ok, then I propose you put the variable value 30 in a cell in your worksheet, let's say in A1. And then you have to change the conditional formatting rules to refer to that cell.

So, instead of

=TODAY-G8<30

you write

=TODAY-G8<A1

Of course, it's time consuming to change all rules, but after that, you just need to change the value in A1 and it will be applied to all rules referring to that cell.