Russia map chart not displaying properly

Copper Contributor

Hi - does anyone have a workaround for this? I made a map chart to display data for Russia's regions. Some data are not displaying properly (see chart). I have inputted data for all regions. While Excel correctly recognises Krasnoyarsk Kray (the big region in the middle that is left gray), it does not display the data on the map. Moreover, some administrative borders (e.g. the border that cuts Kamchatka in half) do not exist any more and while Excel seems to know that (when I hover over the gray part, it displays the data point as "Kamchatka", but it still won't color it in (and since that territory does not exist independently any more, there is nothing I can input that will make Excel color that part). There are three more problematic parts: Ust-Ordinsk and Aginsk (Excel recognizes them as part of the region surrounding them, but won't color them in), and the Komi-Permyak District which it does not recognise (as it should) as part of the Perm Kray. 

Grateful for any advice!

9 Replies

@tczifra 

This tool is not reliable. It's quite sensitive to all names - columns headers, names of places, order of records. If play with them sometimes that helps. 

I checked with Krasnoyarsk Krai -  back in 2007 it was joined with Taymyr and Evenk Okrugs. But chart engine doesn't care and show Krasnoyarsk Krai as former Evenk Okrugs

image.png

Chart shows it together with Taymyr Okrug

image.png

but I didn't find a way to show all 3 together (more exactly one relatively new krai).

Perhaps some workaround could be found for other places if you have time to play with them. In any case, better to send a frown with this, Microsoft follows them.

I too am experiencing issues with the Russian map where the border disappears if I include data from any other country. it is very easy to replicate with two countries.

motorbikematt_0-1618948751369.png

It is also easy to replicate when not using the Data Type > Geography. It recognizes all of the names without a problem, but the border around Russia simply disappears.

motorbikematt_0-1618948992730.png

I have filed a bug via the Feedback function in Excel.

@motorbikematt 

Did you play with this options or use only Automatic?

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

So it appears that I do not have the same menu options that you do. When I change all the options I have (Map Projection, Map Area) I get the same results.

motorbikematt_0-1618950814171.png

@motorbikematt 

These options depend on how data is structured. Could you please share the file with data as on screenshot, I'll try to play then.

@Sergei Baklan 

Thank you very much. If it matters, here is the version that I am using:

motorbikematt_0-1618951439970.png

@motorbikematt 

So far I failed. Option appears for some combination of column names, but data is not recognized. Will try some later if find something.

image.png

In general this tool is quite sensitive to column names, do we use table or range, data type or plain text. Never know what's better.

To my knowledge Excel version practically doesn't matter, it works on Microsoft server, client only shows the result.

@Sergei Baklan 

Thank you for your help here. I'm noticing some other peculiarities. Take for instance this data:

motorbikematt_0-1618955723649.png

• The map deletes Russia's border, even though there is no Russian data
  • When viewing Map Area > World, it doesn't render any of the data input from the States (you can barely see the Counties in UK) yet the Count legend in the top right and the associated color shading is spread out in account for data in the States
  • When I delete the 1st two columns (County, Province) the US map lights up immediately

Even if this is user error, this really does amount to a bug.

Is there a resource online that defines the range of column names that can be used? This is all I can find:

Create a Map Chart
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-a-map-chart-in-excel-f2cfed55-d622-42cd-8ec9-ec8a3...
Format a Map Chart
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/format-a-map-chart-2c744937-a1cc-48f7-bc5e-776497343a29

Hi@motorbikematt 

I am facing the same issue. Did you find a solution to make Russia 'reappear'?