SOLVED

Row height - How to close empty space

Copper Contributor

No cell in the row at issue contains no more than two lines of text, but each cell is three lines high. The third line is empty space. This may be because I had more text in there but deleted it. Backspace does not help. How do I close the empty space? Thanks

4 Replies

@Ken1122 

First step I'd suggest would be to go to Format....Row and see if a default Row Height has been set that keeps the height as you see it. Change it to "AutoFit"....if that doesn't do it, there may be non-showing characters in there.

You could upload a sample of the file showing the problem if you need further help.

@mathetes 

Auto fit didn't solve the problem.

I'd rather not upload the file as it is personal. There are no blank spaces in any of the cells causing this as far as I can tell. 

Thanks

best response confirmed by Ken1122 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Ken1122 

Can you isolate the cell(s) that are causing the problem? [Save a backup copy before doing anything]

Delete columns selectively to see which, when removed, allows the row to collapse.

Another thought: I'm going to assume that these cells are formatted to allows "Word Wrap" -- turn that setting off , which should force it all to one line, just very long, and then edit to just the essential info.

On a separate note...you said it's personal info...so I find myself wondering whether it's the kind of personal file where I've encountered exactly the same issue: credit card statements from some credit card issuers (notably American Express), but also Chase. In the latter case, I discovered that their CSV download was actually far more appropriately designed than was their XLS format. For some reason, the Excel file was made to look pretty (colors and multiple row entries in some cells). AmEx had all addresses of vendors from whom purchases had been made displayed in single cells with multiple rows.

@mathetesI found the offending cell as you suggested and cut all the text out of it, that didn't solve the problem but I pasted the text into a Word document and saved the Excel document. That made the offending cell collapse into one line. Went back to the Word document, got the text, pasted, wrapped, and voila, problem solved. Thanks. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ken1122 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Ken1122 

Can you isolate the cell(s) that are causing the problem? [Save a backup copy before doing anything]

Delete columns selectively to see which, when removed, allows the row to collapse.

Another thought: I'm going to assume that these cells are formatted to allows "Word Wrap" -- turn that setting off , which should force it all to one line, just very long, and then edit to just the essential info.

On a separate note...you said it's personal info...so I find myself wondering whether it's the kind of personal file where I've encountered exactly the same issue: credit card statements from some credit card issuers (notably American Express), but also Chase. In the latter case, I discovered that their CSV download was actually far more appropriately designed than was their XLS format. For some reason, the Excel file was made to look pretty (colors and multiple row entries in some cells). AmEx had all addresses of vendors from whom purchases had been made displayed in single cells with multiple rows.

View solution in original post