Returning different data to the same cells based on three different drop downs.

Copper Contributor

Hello-

I am trying to return different data from another tab in excel but the data returned should be different based on three different drop downs. For instance, I have one drop down with cities, one drop down with types and one drop down amounts. I have 5 different options in each drop down list. I need data returned to the same group of cells based on the options I select, thus there should be 15 different data options that should populate. I tried using and IF formula, and it worked for one option of selections, but if I try to do another IF for the same group on the same formula line it returns an error. 

1 Reply

@dpyatte126 

I am trying to return different data from another tab in excel but the data returned should be different based on three different drop downs. For instance, I have one drop down with cities, one drop down with types and one drop down amounts. I have 5 different options in each drop down list. I need data returned to the same group of cells based on the options I select, thus there should be 15 different data options that should populate.

First of all, if there are three different lists of options, five choices in each, that would be 125, not 15, possible combinations.

I tried using and IF formula, and it worked for one option of selections, but if I try to do another IF for the same group on the same formula line it returns an error. 

There will likely need to be a multi-dimensional table (or set of tables) to yield up the different results for each of the possible combinations. 

Can you spell out a bit more fully what the circumstances are here? And, in addition to a more complete description of the task, ideally, post a copy of the workbook in question, posting it on OneDrive or GoogleDrive with a link pasted here that grants edit access to it.