SOLVED

Result of formula isn't a numer

Copper Contributor

Hi peeps!

I need some help with my formula in excel.

Here my example:

f55no

ONWAAR

The f5 is in row A, 5 row B etc.

So whats going on?

Row A

In the first cel you see "f5" with it my work cel, I need to get rid of all the letters. No matter if it's an A, B, C, F or whatever. In my example an f.

In row B, i've got an formula that remove all the letters. Formula: =KLEINE.LETTERS(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(A1;"a";);"b";);"c";);"d";);"e";);"f";);"g";);"h";);"i";);"j";);"k";);"l";);"m";);"n";);"o";);"p";);"q";);"r";);"s";);"t";);"u";);"v";);"w";);"x";);"y";);"z";);"A";);"B";);"C";);"F";);"S";);"W";);" ";))

Row C

=IF(B1=5;"yes";"no")

Row D

Checks if cel B is an number with formula.

=ISNB(B1)

Problem:

I can't calculate with the result. The result is in my example a 5, but in the formula excel still says "no" that should be a "yes"

9 Replies
best response confirmed by Drclone (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Drclone 

You compare text with number, it always "no". It could be

=IF(B1="5";"yes";"no")

or add double dash in front of substitutes formula.

@Drclone 

Change the formula to

=--SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(SUBSTITUEREN(KLEINE.LETTERS(A1);"a";);"b";);"c";);"d";);"e";);"f";);"g";);"h";);"i";);"j";);"k";);"l";);"m";);"n";);"o";);"p";);"q";);"r";);"s";);"t";);"u";);"v";);"w";);"x";);"y";);"z";);"A";);"B";);"C";);"F";);"S";);"W";);" ";)

Note that I moved KLEINE.LETTERS to immediately before A1.

Wow! I've been looking for so long haha. Thank you!
Wow both of the options work! Yours and the one of sergei. Consider this one absolutely solved

@Drclone 

A shorter version of the formula:

=--TEKST.SAMENV(ALS(ISGETAL(--DEEL(A1,REEKS(LENGTE(A1)),1)),DEEL(A1,REEKS(LENGTE(A1)),1),""))

This one doesn't work here hans.
I've got an error

@Drclone 

It works in Microsoft 365 and Office 2021, not in older versions.

In Office 2019, you can use (confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter):

=--TEKST.SAMENV(ALS(ISGETAL(--DEEL(A1,RIJ(INDIRECT("1:"&LENGTE(A1))),1)),DEEL(A1,REEKS(LENGTE(A1)),1),""))

In older versions, you can create a custom VBA function in the Visual Basic Editor:

Function ExtractNumber(s As String) As Long
    Dim v As String
    Dim i As Long
    For i = 1 To Len(s)
        If IsNumeric(Mid(s, i, 1)) Then
            v = v & Mid(s, i, 1)
        End If
    Next i
    If v <> "" Then
        ExtractNumber = Val(v)
    End If
End Function

Use like this:

=ExtractNumber(A1)

You'll have to save the workbook as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm) and allow macros when you open it.

Oh it works! I had to use ; instead of ,

@Drclone 

Sorry, I use English-language settings, with comma as list separator.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Drclone (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Drclone 

You compare text with number, it always "no". It could be

=IF(B1="5";"yes";"no")

or add double dash in front of substitutes formula.

View solution in original post