Restricting Access for Workbook

Copper Contributor

How can I restrict access to an Excel Workbook so that only certain users can access the workbook? I would like to be able to specify all users that have access & set access for these users. All other users would not be able to access the workbook. Is this possible? I have seen it in older versions of Excel, but not in a newer version. See snip for the version of Excel I am using.

4 Replies

Hi @Mike_Swartzentruber 

You can keep the file on OneDrive & then grant the access to each users accordingly.

We can even give access using the share icon available in the Excel  

Snag_197b1ef.png

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official/Best Answer to help the other members find it more

Hi @Faraz Shaikh 

Thank you, & sorry that I didn't clarify, but this is a document that we are sending out to external users outside of our organization to use, so OneDrive won't be something that they will be able to use. I was thinking maybe something that would force the user to verify their account with Microsoft & if their account isn't specified in the "Allowed" access that I specify within the workbook, they couldn't open the workbook.

On the Share within Excel, this would still use OneDrive if I'm not wrong...

Mike_Swartzentruber_0-1597929124753.png

Any suggestions? 

Hi @Mike_Swartzentruber,

You can still share the file outside the organization, this is totally depending upon the organization policy. Other way I was think that you can create a share folder and the share to the people outside the organization but any with the link can access the documents.

Share button within excel yes, would be using your OneDrive, but it totally dependents where have you stored the file.. on other hand when you click share it give you option for attaching file as link(if on OneDrive/SharePoint) or as copy 

You can try exploring SharePoint where you can give access to the user outside the org. to access that specify folder. You might need your IT assistance to get this done.. SharePoint is bullet proof solution which I have tried it.  You need add those uses as guest to access the SharePoint 

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official/Best Answer to help the other members find it more

Hi @Faraz Shaikh 

This option might work for some users... This document is an app that we created & would like to limit user accessibility & keep them from emailing the workbook to someone outside their organization & then have them use it as well. One problem we will run into is the ability for the users to use this workbook offline, using OneDrive or SharePoint would require them to be online in order to access & modify, am I correct? 

Is there a way to do this restriction so that users specified can modify offline, but it's still not possible for them to send the workbook to someone else & them use it?