RESOLVED - Excel: text in cell being truncated after save

Copper Contributor

Apparently there is a character limit of 250/cell

Workaround: if you need more verbiage requiring more then 250 character, use the Text Box, insert into the cell

I did not find a setting parameter to increase the 250/cell

Windows 10 Enterprise : Excel

Some of my text (General format) in cells is being truncated after I save and close the file.

This seems to be happening only with the last column of the worksheet cells; and again, its not all cells; some get truncated and some don't.

I've expanded the window size of the cell to make sure the entire text field is within before save.

Saving alone does not truncate; only after you close and reopen does this issue happen.

Q: is there a character limit on each cell?

Any suggestions to further debug this?

3 Replies

Yes, there is the limit https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Excel-specifications-and-limits-1672b34d-7043-467e-8e27-269...

Total number of characters that a cell can contain

32,767 characters

(about 2^16).

However, maximum number of displayed characters is 1024. Depends on version and cell formatting.

Thus text is not truncated, you may check with =LEN(), it's not displayed as full after re-opening.

Hmm, unsure I've followed the above solution. I have Some text boxes which are populating from specific cells. I can see all text in the original cell. Lets say A1. I have =$A$1 as the formula in the text box, but the text is still truncated in the text box. (Text is about same length as these comments, and is being cut about 2 thirds of the way through.)

@wtmd 

I found a limitation on the number of characters in the header row of tables - it is limited to 255 characters and it just truncates the data after the 255th character. It does not seem related to Saving, it truncates when moving to the next cell or hitting Enter. It does not matter if they are formatted as General or Text.