SOLVED

Replace record and split field Power Query Excel

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I do power query excel 365 with the result as follow:

dewandi_0-1643261790016.png

My issue is :

1. I want to change "1.15. Institutional Dept" the second row at Office field with " Insti DMA", and "1.15-Institutional Dept" the 5th row at Office field with "Insti Non DMA". What should I do?. 

2. I will spit Office field into 2 side (to remove the numbers in front of the office name). But the problem is if I split it the two last records (Buy and Sell) will be placed at the left side.

Thanks 

7 Replies

@dewandi Rather than splitting, perhaps easier to tell PQ which characters are to be kept. Add a custom column and enter:

= Text.Select ( [Office], {"a" .. "z", "A" .. "Z"} )

Now you have a column with only characters from A to Z (both small and caps).

I trust you can do the next steps yourself. Remove the old Office column and rename the Custom one. Now you can also replace "Institutional" in the new column by "Insti".

Hi @Riny_van_Eekelen thanks you very much.

I Just try it. 

dewandi_0-1643270300686.png

But something missing. No space between words. 

Not solved yet for issue no.1.

@dewandi Ooops, forgot that one. Well, then you can add a space as an allowed character.

= Text.Select ( [Office], {"a" .. "z", "A" .. "Z", " "} )

Oh...Ok ..ok...thank you very much.
For issue no 1. If i replace the second row "Institutional" with "DMA" , the 5th row will have same word.
I want for the 5th row as "NON DMA".
Still an issue for me.
best response confirmed by dewandi (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@dewandi Aha, Now I see that you have references to DMA and NON DMA in the rows that have no sales or volume figures. Then you should add another custom column stating:

= if [Sales] = null then [Office] else null

And then Fill down this new column.

Then, I would filter out all rows with no sales and also those with no office name. Then you are left with a clean table of Sales and Volumes for each Office and by date. No need to keep the subtotals as you would generate those when you create reports from this table.

Hi @Riny_van_Eekelen thank you very much again.

It's work.

dewandi_0-1643277390957.png

@dewandi You're welcome!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dewandi (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@dewandi Aha, Now I see that you have references to DMA and NON DMA in the rows that have no sales or volume figures. Then you should add another custom column stating:

= if [Sales] = null then [Office] else null

And then Fill down this new column.

Then, I would filter out all rows with no sales and also those with no office name. Then you are left with a clean table of Sales and Volumes for each Office and by date. No need to keep the subtotals as you would generate those when you create reports from this table.

View solution in original post