REMOVE A CHECKBOX FROM EXCEL WORKSHEET

Copper Contributor

I was handed an Excel worksheet that has three checkboxes that I wish to remove but cannot seem to remove them.  Excel Help says to right click the Box and then hit Delete.  There is no Delete in the ensuing dropdown menu and Delete on the keyboard does not work.  

Any suggestions?

16 Replies

@tjbCanton2020 

If the check boxes have a right-click menu:

• Right-click a check box.
  • Press Esc to dismiss the right-click menu.
  • Press Delete.

If they don't have a right-click menu:

• Activate the Developer tab of the ribbon (if you don't have a Developer tab, you can make it visible in File > Options > Customize Ribbon).
  • Click to turn on 'Design Mode'.
  • Click on a check box, then press Delete.
  • Don't forget to turn off 'Design Mode' when you're done.

@Hans Vogelaar 

do you know how to move an entire column of check boxes?

@j9bonglen 

If they are ActiveX check boxes, turn on Design Mode in the Controls group of the Developer tab of the ribbon.

Regardless of the type, click Find & Select > Select Objects in the Editing group of the Home tab of the ribbon.

Select the check boxes that you want to move by dragging a rectangle around them.

Use the left/right/up/down arrow keys to move all selected controls.

Don't forget to turn off Select Objects (and if applicable, Design Mode) when you're done.

@Hans Vogelaar I have tried the delete key to no avail. I went to customize ribbon but there is NOT a developer tab to activate. NOW WHAT? I have tried deleting the cell and tried deleting the row and that does not work either.

@JBEE4179 

What platform are you on (Windows, Mac, Linux, ...)?
Which version of Office do you have?

I had the same issue and couldn't remove the check box using the methods above, then I found this:

Go to the Home tab > Editing group > Find & Select > Go To Special, select the Objects radio button, and click OK. This will select all the check boxes on the active sheet, and you simply press the Delete key to remove them.

This will remove all check boxes.

Thank you Dennis, worked like a charm!

@Hans Vogelaar   I've brought information from a health account into Excel.  With it came a check box that I can't get rid of.  If I delete the row, it stays on the new one.  I've tried the Developer, Design, Delete, and that doesn't work.

At the moment, I have it so that when I click on it, =EMBED("Forms.HTML:Checkbox.1","") shows up in the edit line.  The check box will also outline with a box of 'o's, but won't delete.

@HalENT 

Have you tried the suggestion by @Dennis_Lewis ?

Thank you, Dennis! This worked!!
this worked for me, thanks a lot

@Dennis_Lewis 

It highlighted all boxes. Is there a way to delete only a few? thanks

@Therence 

If the objects are close to each other, you could use 'select objects' to lasso them and then delete:

Patrick2788_0-1686164264747.png

thank you. It works!

you can try this . first click on files tab and the at bottom click options now a new window opens there click customize ribbon in customize ribbon on right side click developer and then click ok. Now you can see a developer option on your ribbon on top. Now click that developer and then click design mode. Now you will be able to select the check box after selecting the checkbox go to home and click find and select tab, on that tab click go to special tab now on go to special select objects now the check box will be selected now  you can delete the checkbox @HalENT 

@Hans Vogelaar Check boxes gone thank you Hans Vogrlaar suggestion :Mar 28 2023 12:27PM to use Dennis Lewis Suggestion : Feb 3 2023 03:59 find /select objects special  objects and and delete.