SOLVED

Relations between tables?

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I have two sheets containing two tables, see screenshots below:

Sheet 1: ''Tables''Sheet 1: ''Tables''

Sheet 2: ''Overiew''Sheet 2: ''Overiew''

My issue is that I want to automatically fill column A (Table) in Sheet 2, with the name of the table (found in Sheet 1) that contains this information. 

Kyle - South Africa - Cape Town        should fill the cells in Column A with  ''Table 3'' 

Lars - Sweden - Jokkmokk                 should fill the cell in Column A with ''Table 2'' 

and so forth.... 

I can't find ''relationships'' under data, maybe because I am using Excel Drive?

3 Replies

@PAtesting Didn't you ask the same question here?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/enter-table-name-in-cell/m-p/3220155#M136362 

The only difference is that you now provide a more specific example.

It's still unclear to me. I thought my question was not clear enough that's why I provided a clearer example.
best response confirmed by PAtesting (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@PAtesting Just wondering why you accepted something as a solution when it was not. Did you look at the Power Query option I gave you? You don't need the table names in each of the three tables and PQ can pick them up for you. And if you don't want to use PQ, perhaps the attached file will get you started. It uses INDEX and MATCH, though it's not very elegant.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PAtesting (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@PAtesting Just wondering why you accepted something as a solution when it was not. Did you look at the Power Query option I gave you? You don't need the table names in each of the three tables and PQ can pick them up for you. And if you don't want to use PQ, perhaps the attached file will get you started. It uses INDEX and MATCH, though it's not very elegant.

View solution in original post