SOLVED

Refactoring code - vba

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone, could someone help me out to refactor the code below, please. So basically, I made a clickable in-cell wherein it selects either X, O, or P. It is in the uncontiguous range so problem is that if there's an update on the cell, I manually edit the below range one by one. What I am thinking is that, have a column with an xxxx value in it and use it as a range. Not sure how to do it though. Cheers! :)

Thanks in advance. 

If Not Intersect(Range("I14:I20,I22:I22,I25:I26,I28:I32,I34:I38,I40:I44,I46:I50,I52:I53,I55:I56,I61:I67,I67:I73,I75:I80,I82:I85,I87:I94,I96:I98,I100:I111,I122:I128,I30:I130,I134:I143,I145:I156,I158:I163,I65:I168,I170:I175,I177:I179,I181:I183,I185:I186,I188:I195,I197:I198"), Target) Is Nothing Then
        Cancel = True
        Select Case Target.Value
            Case "X"
                Target.Value = "P"
            Case "O"
                Target.Value = "X"
            Case Else
                Target.Value = "O"
        End Select
    End If

3 Replies
I think the better way to think about it is how do YOU know what the right cells are? For example if column H has information in it that says:
H12: First Name
H13: Last Name
H14: Breakfast is P/X/O?
H15: Lunch is P/X/O?
H16: Snack is P/X/O?
etc..
and any time H has "P/X/O" as the request then you want that clickable feature then
make the range all of I:I and then just add another IF statement to check if the corresponding cell in H has "P/X/O" in it (e.g something like IF InStr(1,Target.offset(0,-1),"P/X/O") THEN )

@mtarler Hi please find attached sample file. Thanks :)

best response confirmed by rbalza (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@rbalza  So I don't know how 'real' that sample is but I give you 1 example of how it could work.  1st I fixed your nested IF statements that shouldn't have been nested and then changed the IF statement with that big non-continuous range to this:

If Not Intersect(Range("H14:H56"), Target) Is Nothing And _
      Not IsEmpty(Target.Offset(0, -5)) And _
      IsEmpty(Target.Offset(0, -6)) Then

You could nest the if statements or use AND like I did here and I just check the whole H range and that there is a value in the Col C and Col B is empty (i.e. no "-" mark). 

Again you need to look at your actual data/sheet and see if this or other logic would work.  Not only does it make you life easier in the macro but also in updating and maintaining the sheet itself. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rbalza (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@rbalza  So I don't know how 'real' that sample is but I give you 1 example of how it could work.  1st I fixed your nested IF statements that shouldn't have been nested and then changed the IF statement with that big non-continuous range to this:

If Not Intersect(Range("H14:H56"), Target) Is Nothing And _
      Not IsEmpty(Target.Offset(0, -5)) And _
      IsEmpty(Target.Offset(0, -6)) Then

You could nest the if statements or use AND like I did here and I just check the whole H range and that there is a value in the Col C and Col B is empty (i.e. no "-" mark). 

Again you need to look at your actual data/sheet and see if this or other logic would work.  Not only does it make you life easier in the macro but also in updating and maintaining the sheet itself. 

View solution in original post