Records missing when linking query from access to excel "this table is empty"

Copper Contributor

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious but I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I'm trying to import a query from access to excel so that the query is always linked to the access database. I've done this for simple queries but this one has more columns that my old one plus a column using expression build. I don't know if this is relevant but it's the only difference I can think of. When I try to import the query, field names will transfer just fine but all the records will be missing. Original tables from access can be imported just fine. Below are previews from when I attempt to make the link. The first one with a query and the second with a table. 

empty query.JPGexcel table.JPG

Edit to include steps.. Data tab => New Query => From Database => From Microsoft Access Database.  

Anyone have any idea on why this is happening? I'd like to have the records show up for this query. 

4 Replies

Hi Rachel,

I guess that's since you try to import from Access query, not from Access table as in first case.

Could you explain this a little more? I've always done Data => New Query => From Database => From Microsoft Access Database.  

Is there another pathway that I can use for queries to show up?

Hi Rachel,

I didn't work with Access for a long while. Path to connect is correct, I only see from your screenshots what in one case you'd try to connect the query qryFruitBackground, in other case you connected the table tblSampleInfo

Ok. Yeah that's from the same navigation window. Thank you for replying though.