Receiving "VALUE" errors in data sheet while others in same file dont see this

Copper Contributor

Hi,
A friend sent me a Excel file in which I can add data which is translated into useful information for analysis on later sheets of that same excel file. After filling in the data, I get to see "VALUE! and """"" in each sheet which should so correct date. Now the obvious answer is that some formulas or data is incorrect. But when I save the file and send it over to other people, the data appears correct. 

Picture one shows a sheet of my excel file. Picture 2 shows a sheet of how a friend sees that same sheet. So based on the same input (pic 3), the data is somehow shown correctly if other people open the file but not for my Excel.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 Reply

@Floris1988 I suspect that your problem lies in the fact that the data had the comma as the decimal separator where your settings expect a period. Excel sees them as text and trying to calculate with plain text produces the #VALUE! error. Widen the columns with the ##### signs, and you'll probable see #VALUE! there as well. The number that did come across to your summary sheet was "1", being the only number without a decimal in the input sheet.